Samurai Shodown Reboot Launches This Summer, New Trailer and Gameplay Released
Games like Dead or Alive 6 and Mortal Kombat 11 may grab most of the headlines, but fighting game fans shouldn’t overlook the upcoming Samurai Shodown reboot. The first entry in the classic 2D fighting series in nearly 15 years, Samurai Shodown is the first SNK game to be powered by Unreal Engine 4. The game will also include the interesting new “Dojo Mode,” that will use deep machine learning to capture your fighting style, which will then be turned into a ghost other people can battle online. Here’s the latest Samurai Showdown trailer.
Samurai Shodown will launch with 16 characters (13 returning and 3 new), with more being released as DLC. Confirmed returning fighters include Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Galford, Earthquake, Jubei Yagyu, Tam, Charlotte, and Ukyo Tachibana. You can check out over 40 minutes of Samurai Shodown, courtesy of Gematsu, below.
Here’s a rundown of Samurai Shodown’s key features:
- Exhilarating Weapons-Based Combat – Samurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
- Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
- Unique Cast of Returning and New Warriors – Samurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
- All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
- Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.
SNK will be revealing more information about Samurai Shodown, and letting the public go hands-on with the game, at PAX East 2019, which kicks off on March 28.
Samurai Shodown throws down on Xbox One and PS4 in June, Nintendo Switch later this year, and the PC sometime after that.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter