How to Update and Root XXU1BPL2 Official Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge users are waiting for the extremely delayed Nougat update with bated breath. However, while Samsung is taking its sweet time to deliver Nougat to the very latest flagship duo, you can’t miss the monthly updates to install the security patches that fix several vulnerabilities. By now, many of you must have already received the OTA notifications for December security updates. However, if you are looking for links to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge to the latest update, this guide will help you. Follow these steps to update and root Galaxy S7 edge on XXU1BPL2 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official firmware.
G935FXXU1BPL2 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Model SM-G935F
- Model name Galaxy S7 edge
- Version Android 6.0.1
- Changelist 9689434
- Build date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:48:14 +0000
- Security Patch Level 2016-12-01
- Product code ATO
- PDA: G935FXXU1BPL2
- CSC: G935FATO1BPJ1
Before you proceed to update and root Galaxy S7 edge on XXU1BPL2…
Please check these prerequisites before going forward to the installation guide:
- Download and install USB drivers for your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge on your computer.
- Make sure to take backup of any important files on your smartphone.
- Go to Settings > tap for about five times to enable Developer options.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge’s battery is charged up to more than 70%.
Check and confirm your phone’s model number: Go to Settings on your phone > scroll down to About device or About phone and tap on it > note the Model number. This guide is focused on Samsung Galaxy S7 edge model G935F.
How to install XXU1BPL2 Android 6.0.1 on S7 edge
- Unzip Odin on your computer and install it. Unzip firmware zip file in the same folder as Odin.
- Switch your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge off and boot it in Download mode: press and hold Volume Down, Power, and Home buttons together. OR, check how to enter Galaxy S7 edge download mode.
- Open Odin and connect your smartphone with your computer. When connected successfully, ID:COM boxes will turn yellow. (In case the smartphone isn’t successfully added to Odin, try another USB port. If that doesn’t help either, re-install USB drivers).
- On your Odin, select files:
- Click on AP / PDA and select file with AP or Code in its name (this would be the extracted .tar.md5 file)
- Click on CP/Phone and select file with MODEM in its name – ignore if you didn’t get any such file.
- CSC and select file with CSC in its name – ignore if you didn’t get any such file.
- Click on PIT and select the. pit file – ignore if you didn’t get any such file.
- BL and select file with BL in its name – ignore if there is no such file.
- Make sure to check Auto Reboot and F.Rest Time. Check Re-Partition only if you selected the .pit file.
- Click on Start to initiate the update process.
- When Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow installation is successfully completed, you will get a PASS message and your phone will restart.
- Once you see the home screen, you can unplug your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.
After you have successfully installed XXU1BPL2 Android 6.0.1, read on for the steps to root Galaxy S7 edge on December security update.
How to root Galaxy S7 edge G935F on XXU1BPL2 Android 6.0.1
Required files: Download Chainfire root tool for Exynos Samsung Galaxy S7 edge from this link (SM-G935F) and extract it.
- Unzip Chainfire zip file and retrieve .tar.md5 file on your computer.
- Switch your phone off and enter download mode: press and hold Volume Down + Home buttons simultaneously and then press the Power key till you see the construction Android robot sign. Press Power key again to confirm.
- Open ODIN on your computer and connect your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge with your PC while it’s in Download mode. When connected successfully, you will get a message in Odin saying Added!!. (In case you don’t get it, try another USB port. If that doesn’t help either, then re-install USB drivers).
- In ODIN, click on the AP / PDA button and select the CF-Auto-Root file downloaded earlier.
- Ensuring that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are selected, click on Start to initiate the root process.
- When the root process is successfully completed, you will get a PASS message and ID:COM will turn green.
- Once your device automatically reboots and you see the home screen, you can disconnect your Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.