Postal 4: No Regerts Revives the Controversial Series, Out Now on Steam Early Access
Show of hands, who out there’s been chomping at the bit for a new Postal game? Anybody? Well, even if you haven't, it’s happening anyways. Yes, out of nowhere, developer Running With Scissors has released Portal 4: No Regerts (that’s not a typo) on Steam Early Access. You can check out an oh-so-edgy trailer, below.
If you’re too young to remember the Postal games, or simply had the good taste to avoid them, they were open-world shooters which presented mundane tasks which could be completed in a variety of ways, both violent and, uh, “clever.” The games and their marketing pushed the edgy humor hard (think South Park, except not terribly funny) and the series was eventually made into a truly awful Uwe Boll movie.
Honestly, a lot of the controversy surrounding the series seems a bit quaint now, and the games were actually kind of innovative in their own janky way, but still, I’m not sure this is what most people are looking for in 2019. The series’ developers have also made online statements that might make some disinclined to support them. That said, based on the trailer, it seems like Postal 4 may be avoiding the uglier humor of past games (although the cat silencer is back), so maybe the game will just be some simple, dumb fun. Here’s a list of features from the game’s Steam page:
- Free roam, open world, sandbox gameplay: Approach your daily set of Errands in a non-linear fashion! Seek out optional Side Quests for additional rewards! Or ignore all of that and just cause general pandemonium at your own leisure!
- Jon St. John, industry veteran and legendary voice for Duke Nukem, in the role of the POSTAL Dude!
- A brand new town to explore: Discover Edensin and unearth the dark secrets of this gambling town! Visit the local penitentiary, but don’t become a permanent guest! Meet the mysterious and exotic locals at the Mexican border! Cruise the roads in style in your own fashionable Mobility Scooter! Test your luck at the casinos on the Zag, all under the watchful eye of the monolithic ERC Tower!
- Pacifist vs. Aggressive: Enjoy full freedom in your choice of playstyle! New ammo types and other tools to greater support peaceful (or non-lethal, at least) confrontations, but violence is still always an option too!
- Over-the-top arsenal: Series classics return such as the iconic Shovel, Gas Can, and the famous boomerang Machete! Brandish new weapons like the AK and Tazer Baton! Set traps and unleash feathered chaos with the new Pigeon Mine! Get creative with the Spurt ’n’ Squirt’s unique liquid ammo types: Fill it with water to put out fires, gasoline to create an improvised flamethrower, or urine to shower Edensin’s residents!
- Potent Power-ups: Add that familiar POSTAL twist to your weaponry with power-ups such as the classic Cat Silencer, the slow motion-inducing Catnip, and the dual wielding Energy Drink!
- Bevy of interactivity: Feed Doggie Treats to strays to gather canine armies to do your dirty work! Grab and carry around objects to stack them and reach new areas or just throw them at others to annoy them! For the first time in the franchise, use and flush toilets!
As mentioned, Postal 4: No Regerts is available now via Steam Early Access. The Postal games aren’t really my thing, but is anyone out there morbidly curious?
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter