Northern Shadow is an upcoming open-world sandbox RPG with city building elements. It is played exclusively from first person perspective. Introduces advanced AI and dialog systems, as well as city building and management mechanics. Developer Chariots has released three new images of the game which can be viewed below:
- Advanced AI: Character trait system provides a realistic context for AI actions. They can adapt to any situation, and always try to choose an action that represents their character the best.
- City Building: Detailed building construction system allows for extreme customization and building options for cities, down to individual flowers. You can build anywhere on the map, whenever you like.
- City Management: Realistic logistics system requires you to balance the city resources. Traders may choose not to visit a town if they find them unprofitable or dangerous. A mining town cannot survive without a steady supply of food. A farming town cannot produce food without protection. Guards cannot do their duty without adequate armaments and support.
- Huge Open World: Constantly growing 200 square kilometer map has variety of geographically different areas with different cultures. Season cycle system can change not only the look, but the topography of the map as well.
- Sandbox: Dynamic event system leverages the AI and dialog systems, so that any event that can happen, can happen anywhere, anytime, without the restrictions of the classic quest systems. Anyone can become a murderer (if it fits their character) and open up an investigation option, anyone can become a key witness to that crime. There are no special NPCs.
— Northern Shadow (@_NorthernShadow) July 4, 2015
In Northern Shadow the world isn’t static, entire cities can be destroyed. NPCs need to be able to react to constantly changing situations. Since you can build your own cities unlike other RPGs, you end up having to pay a lot more attention to NPC behavior. Suddenly, techniques that would work on traditional open-world RPGs or city builder games end up being irritating and unrealistic, the illusion becomes immediately obvious. Fixing this was a big priority, solution was the complete rewrite of the Northern Shadow AI.
Northern Shadow will be releasing for the PC with an undetermined release date for an early access alpha.
Other notable Unreal Engine 4 projects include the gorgeous Absention, a new survival horror title inspired by true survival horror greats such as Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill so fans can expect a mixture of mental challenge, intense gameplay, and immersive environments.
Unreal Engine forum member ‘koola‘ has recently released two screenshots from his latest project, that looked just absolutely mind-blowing, and now he has released two more images from the map and a video showcasing fully procedural ground textures. Koola mentions that big rocks come from the Epic Kite Demo.
Koola has previously delivered some hyper realistic real-time architectural visualizations using Unreal Engine 4. Taking advantage of both the power and accessibility of UE4, the results of his work have wowed colleagues and has garnered attention from the international press and the Unreal team at Epic. Earlier this year Koola became the very first recipient of the inaugural Unreal Dev Grants program, a financial development fund designed to incentivize and reward innovative projects designed in Unreal Engine 4.
Witness the making of the first-person experience ADR1FT, Three One Zero’s narrative-driven survival game that takes the genre to breathless levels. CGCloud has created an incredibly impressive new project, LondonLoft, using the Unreal Engine 4. The astounding wlakthrough can be watched here.
Acclaimed game-development studio Dontnod and publisher Focus Home Interactive, announced Vampyr, a new role-playing game powered by Unreal Engine 4 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Ad Infinitum is a first-person survival horror adventure set in a surreal world during WWI. It is built on the Unreal Engine 4 and is currently under development for the PC.
Downward is a beautiful first person parkour based, scenery open-world adventure set during the Middle Ages, after that the events depicted in the Book of Revelation of St. John took their course. ARK: Survival Evolved, is a multiplayer first person survival game coming to Early Access in June 2015, with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions planned for 2016.
We will bring you any new information on Unreal Engine 4 projects as soon as it becomes available.