How to Install CWM on Galaxy Mega 5.8 I9152, Mega 6.3
ClockworkMod recovery is one of the two most popular recovery tools available. It works like a charm and would equip your Samsung Galaxy Mega with the power to install and update tweaks, custom ROMs and MODs. Have fun with this super power!
Prerequisites to install CWM on Galaxy Mega smartphones:
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy Mega in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option: Settings > More > Developer Options.
- Ensure that your device carries more than 70% of charge.
- Though the installation of CWM doesn’t affect memory, but keep a backup of all your important data nevertheless.
How to install CWM on Galaxy Mega 5.8 i9152, Galaxy Mega 6.3 i9205 and i9200:
- Download Odin 3.07 on your computer.
- Also, download CWM Touch Recovery based on your phone and extract the zip on your desktop:
- Download Chainfire’s SuperUser rooting package UPDATE-SuperSU-V1.34.Zip. Copy it to your phone.
- Switch your Galaxy Mega off and boot the device in Download mode: press Volume Down + Home + Power buttons for about 2-3 seconds till you see a warning screen. Then press Volume Up.
- Launch Odin3 and connect the Galaxy Mega to PC using USB cable. Once connected, the ID:COM port on Odin will turn Blue.
- In Odin make sure that the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes are the only options checked. Don’t mess with anything else.
- Click on the PDA button and select the Recovery file according to your device model.
- Now hit the Start button and wait till installation is finished. When it is successfully finished, you will get a PASS!! message on Odin.
- Your Samsung Galaxy Mega will reboot automatically now.
How to root Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 i9152 and other Mega smartphones:
Once ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your device, it’s time to root your Mega by installing SuperSU.
- Switch off your Galaxy Mega and boot it into recovery mode: press Volume Up + Home and Power buttons together for about 5 seconds and you will enter recovery menu. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll and Power key to select options.
- Now go to install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard and locate the update-SuperSU zip file downloaded and copied to your phone earlier. Confirm installation.
- Go back to main menu and select reboot system now.
When your Galaxy Mega boots up, it should have SuperUser app installed on it. Enjoy!
Alternative method to root Galaxy Mega 6.3 i9205 and i9200:
In case you encountered any problem rooting your Mega 6.3 using above steps, then try this one:
Required files: download the rootable Kernel with SU & Busybox.
- Boot your phone in Download mode.
- Launch Odin and connect device to PC.
- Next, click on PDA and select the boot.img.tar file downloaded earlier. Click on the Start button.
- Your device will reboot automatically.
- Once it’s booted again, extract the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip file and copy the Superuser.apk to your phone.
- Install this apk as any app.
Ta da! Now you have a rooted Galaxy Mega with CWM installed in it. All the more power!