Icy Dock Introduces Tough Armor MB 516SP-B Rugged Backplane Storage Enclosure
Icy Dock is a brand known primarily for their enterprise products and the ToughArmor MB516SP-B is no exception. A rather dense product the enclosure has room for 16 x 2.5" SATA / SAS drives up to 7mm in height, it fits in only two 5.25" bays, making it perfect for high density storage applications, while this is intended for professional use, nothing is stopping it from being used in personal storage uses. It features their unique EZ-Slide Nano trays that should make installing drives simple and easy, and luckily are compatible with several other ToughArmor models, Icy Dock specifically mentions the MB998 series.
Icy Dock Mass Storage Enclosure Fits Inside 2 5.25 Inch Optical Drive Bays
Its large 80mm user-controllable fan runs quietly, utilizing its many ventilation holes for maximum airflow at minimal RPM ranges. The fan has 3 modes the user can set; high, low, and off. The MB516SP-B features a rugged heavy duty full-metal housing designed to meet high IOPS requirement which are generally found in Enterprise environments, Military systems, Medical systems, high performance computing and industrial settings.
To maximize its storage density and compatibility, the MB516SP-B supports 16 x 7mm 2.5" SATA / SAS SSD or Hard disk drive, and only uses two standard external 5.25" computer bays (DVD-ROM bays).
The MB516SP-B's compact, dense design makes it perfect for workstations, compact servers, gaming rigs, home servers, and HTPCs that require high IOPS, high capacity, and low latency storage access.
It works well in advanced RAID configurations, due to its use of 4x Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8643) connectors, and can be controlled by a single RAID card. Mini-SAS is also preferable to remove cable clutter and clean up your system, 4 cables are easier to manage than 16. It is also perfect for users that need non-RAID JBOD storage to save different content in different drive locations. It supports a wide-range of applications which makes the ToughArmor MB516SP-B invaluable.
Using the EZ Slide Nano trays makes drive interchangeability and maintenance completely hassle free. For drive security, the Eagle-hook lock system on the tray makes sure your hard drives will not eject when not needed. The trays are designed to accommodate 5 to 7mm height hard drive and SSD, creating a 2.5" hot swap bay for any standard SATA / SAS hard drives and SSDs.
Protecting the safety of your most valuable data is the top priority of any data storage system. The MB516SP-B is tough enough to handle the most demanding environments, using heavy duty rugged full-metal components inside and out. Its full-metal design is also perfect for industrial and medical applications, where flammability requirements need to be met. In addition, the Anti-Vibration Technology (AVT) and EMI grounding ensure a stable platform for the drives being used, vastly improving reliability and drive longevity. The full metal construction of MB516SP-B allows for maximum heat dissipation, and combined with the large 80mm cooling fan, keeps your drives at an optimal temperature even under intense accesses.
The user replaceable 80mm cooling fan is placed directly at the center of the rear panel, providing equivalent airflow throughout the entire cage. Depending on your needs, you may need the fan to be at a higher speed, or completely off for silent operation, and so a 3-Mode Fan Speed Control has been added to flexible in various situations.
The ToughArmor MB516SP-B has LED status lights built-in to each tray, giving you current status information for each drive. Active Power Technology (APT) allows each LED to only be on when a drive is inserted, and shuts down the fan automatically when all drives are removed. When a drive is detected, the large 80mm cooling fan starts up, strategically placed in the rear of the unit to maximize airflow.
- Rugged heavy duty full-metal construction of all internal and external components, commercially designed for Medical & Military systems, media servers, and IPCs, and approved and used by Tier 1 companies.
- Perfect for rugged applications that must meet flammability requirements.
- Fits 16 x 7mm 2.5" SATA hard drives or SSDs in 2x external 5.25" bays for high performance RAID applications.
- Large 80mm cooling fan circulates a massive amount of air, while running quietly.
- Fan is user-adjustable, with settings for high, low, and off.
- Powered by 4x 15-pin SATA power cables for all 16 bays.
- Connected by 4x Mini-SAS data cables for all 16 bays, for plug-and-play compatibility with most motherboards and RAID cards.
- Drive label plugs to keep track of your RAID drives.
- Anti-Vibration Technology (AVT) - creates a safe environment for hard drives or SSDs.
- Active Power Technology (APT) - individual led & cooling fan only powers up if there is a drive installed in the bay
- Eagle-hook lock system keeps drives secured within the enclosure
- Removable tray system for easy maintenance
- Supports SATA 6Gbps and hot swap
- Supports SATA and SATA power cables with locking latch design
- Industry leading 3 year warranty with exceptional customer support
Pricing And Availability
The ToughArmor MB516SP-B is available on Newegg for $296.99
(ethics disclaimer: These are affiliate links and we will receive a commission from Amazon/Newegg).
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter