No one likes slow internet, especially if you have important tasks that require a good internet connection. Fortunately, there are ways that you can speed up your connection. This tutorial will address the issue of slow connections and will show you how to speed up your internet on Windows 11. There are different things you can try to get the most out of your connection.
Speed Up Internet Windows 11
Just a little disclaimer before you try out these methods, you will get the speed that you pay your ISP for. If you have a cheap internet plan, you cannot expect it to perform at the level of a premium plan. These steps will help you bring the most out of your internet plan.
Network Utilizing Apps
If you have multiple apps running and aren’t using some of them, you should close the ones utilizing your Network. This way, you can better use the bandwidth.
- Open Task Manager using shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Click on the Processes Tab.
- In the Network header, see which app is using your connection. Close the ones that you don’t need.
Some common apps that utilize your Network include cloud storage apps, torrent software, videos on streaming, etc.
Delivery Optimization Settings
Windows allows you to download data from other PCs as well. However, if you don’t use this option very often, then there is a chance that this feature is using bandwidth, and you don’t even know it. So disabling this feature is something you should do. You can disable this feature in the Delivery Optimization settings in the Settings app. Further, you can also select how much bandwidth is available for downloading updates in the same settings.
- Use shortcut keys Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Select Windows Update from the left pane.
- Select Advanced Options in the right pane.
- Under the Additional options section, select Delivery Optimization.
- Turn the toggle switch Off next to Allow downloads from other PCs.
- In the same window, you will also see Advanced Options. Click on this.
- In this window, you will be able to adjust Download and Upload bandwidth.
- After you are satisfied with the changes, close the Settings app.
If you use a mobile hotspot, then there is a possibility that you have set up data limits. However, if this feature is turned on accidentally for your home network, it can limit how much data is available for you. You should disable this feature if it has been enabled.
- Open Settings using shortcut keys Win + I.
- Select Network & Internet from the left pane.
- Select the Properties option from the right pane.
- Turn the toggle switch Off next to Metered connection.
Speed Up Internet on Windows 11 By Changing DNS
If nothing else has worked to optimize your internet speed, you can always try changing your DNS.
Step-1: Click on the search icon on the taskbar and type Control Panel. Click Open.
Step-2: Select Network and Internet.
Step-3: Select Network and Sharing Centre.
Step-4: Next to Connections, click on the link with your network name.
Step-5: Click on Properties.
Step-6: Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4.
Step-7: Select Use the following DNS Server addresses and add the following:
Preferred DNS server: 188.8.131.52
Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
Step-8: Select OK.
If none of these things work and you are still struggling with bad connections, you should either change your network service provider or change your internet plan.