How to Check the Health of Your Windows 11 Computer
Ensuring that your PC or laptop is in the most optimum state is very important. You can do regular health checks to anticipate any future costs that you may incur, which may help you fix any problems that cause disruptions in your daily work or personal tasks. In this tutorial, I will address this and show you how to check the health of your Windows 11 computer.
Check the Health of Windows 11 Computer
For this to work, you have various reports at your disposal that you can use to check how your PC or laptop is doing. Then based on the results you get, you can take an active or a proactive approach to fix the issues that may be there or may arise in the future.
Health Check App
Microsoft introduced the Health check app along with Windows 11, and you can use this to check how your PC is doing. There is a possibility that this app is already installed on your computer. However, you can download it manually from the Microsoft website if it isn't.
- Click on the search icon and type PC Health Check and select Open.
- There will be various options visible to you on the app like Battery Capacity, Backup & Sync, Windows Update, etc. However, only some of them are relevant to you for this tutorial. Using the Battery capacity option will give you information on how your batteries perform compared to their original capacity. You will also get info about the capacity of devices older than three years. If you want to check how you can save your battery life, click on the See battery saving tips option.
- You can manage your Storage capacity as well. Click on the option to expand it, select Manage storage settings, and turn on Storage Sense and other cleanup recommendations. This will help you be on top of your storage, and you can ensure that your computer doesn't slow down because it is running out of storage.
- The best part of this app is Tips on PC Health. Click on this option to learn more about ways you can improve your system performance. These tips are generic and aren't essentially customized according to your system, but they can still help you.
Check Health of Windows 11 Computer Using Windows Security
You can also use Windows security to learn more about your PC health.
Step-1: Click on the Search icon and type Windows Security.
Step-2: Select Device performance & health.
Step-3: The Health report section will show you when the last scan took place and if any issues need your attention. You don't have to run this scan manually, as the system does this independently from time to time.
Step-4: If there are no issues, green checks will be visible. However, if there is an issue, there will be an amber check, and you click on the issue to read more about it and how to fix it.
This tool tracks elements like disk, disk memory, network usage etc.
- Click on the search icon and type Performance Monitor. Click Open.
This tool will help you get two reports, System Diagnostics and System Performance.
- From the left pane select Data Collector Sets > System.
- You will see two options: System Diagnostics and System Performance. Right-click on them one at a time and select Start.
- After about two minutes, click on Reports > System.
- You will see both System Diagnostics and System Performance reports. Click on each of them to view your report and if there are any issues. In case of any errors, you will be told what to do about them.
Check Health of Windows 11 Computer Using Sleep Study
If Sleep State is supported on your system, you can use it to measure your system health and check if there are apps or processes that are draining your system.
Step-1: Go to the search icon and type command prompt, and select Run as administrator.
Step-2: You will be asked, do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Select Yes.
Step-3: You can generate an HTML report by using the following command. Type it and press Enter:
powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\mysleepstudy.html
Once you press enter, a file will be created on the selected file path labeled mysleepstudy.html.
Step-4: This report generated is for 3 days. If you want to see the report for more days, you can go as high as 28. Type the following command but replace TIME with the number of days. For example, if I want a report of 20 days, I will replace TIME with 20.
powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\mysleepstudy.html /Duration TIME
After this, just locate the file and analyze it to see where the problem lies.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
netsh wlan show wlanreport
- Open the Run box using shortcut keys Win + R.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- When the file opens, you will see various dots in different colors. The red ones indicate issues. If you click on the dots, you will get more detail about errors.
- Scroll down, and you will see a Summary of the analysis and Disconnect reasons. This will help you analyze why your internet was disconnected and whether it got disconnected because there were issues with drivers or was there some other issue.
I hope these help. Let us know if you have any more questions for us in the comments below.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter