Halo: Spartan Strike Now Available Through Steam, And iOS
Alright Halo fans, listen up, there is a new top-down shooter available right now. 343 Industries has seen fit to release their latest game with very little noise or fanfare. Halo: Spartan Strike is now available on Steam as well as on Windows Phone, through the Windows 8 Store and even on iOS.
Halo: Spartan Strike marks the debut appearance of any Halo game on Apple's platform. It's also available on Steam, the Windows Store and on Windows Phone.
Halo: Spartan Strike takes place concurrently with Halo 2 on Mombasa as you fight against the Covenant and the Prometheans. You'll be able to take part in 30 separate missions through a variety of desperate environments.
Thankfully it seems that Microsoft and 343 Industries have listened to our complaints form their previous top-down shooter, and have removed the micro-transactions that plagued the previous release, Halo: Spartan Assault. Halo: Spartan Strike is a successor to the former, though not a true sequel because the events happen before Halo: Spartan Assault.
Interestingly, this is the first Halo game that will be available on any other platform other than a Microsoft specific one. Being available on iOS certainly takes advantage of a large market share and customer base that likely also enjoys the franchise. I think it's a smart move to branch out with their IP in this manner.
The previous top-down action shooter, Halo: Spartan Assault, has mixed reviews due to the aforementioned micro-transactions and the platform exclusivity. The overall basic gameplay, however, was solid and the story was a fresh look at certain perspectives within the Halo universe. So Halo: Spartan Strike should at least provide a great gameplay experience, and a good soundtrack with Tom Salta as the composer.
- Crush your enemies using the iconic Warthog or sweep them from the battlefield using the all-new Kestrel VTOL.
- Face off against Promethean enemies; deadly mechanical warriors who seek mankind's annihilation.
- Experience an all-new story that will take you from New Mombasa on Earth to the enigmatic Gamma Halo located at the edge of charted space.
- Share progress between your Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 devices, or on Steam via Steam Cloud.
- Purchase through the Windows or Windows Phone store and receive access to the Windows and Windows Phone versions of the title for one price.
- Complete weekly challenges and take the top position against friends in leaderboards that showcase your Halo gaming skills.
- Take control with precision touch-based controls for the mobile experience and optional support for both keyboard and mouse or USB Xbox controller on PCs.**
- Earn achievements in Halo: Spartan Strike to unlock an exclusive emblem, nameplate, and avatar in Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Xbox One (sold separately).*
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter