Fortnite Hits 200 Million Player Mark, Update Adds New Team Rumble Mode, Rare Shotguns
It’s been a while since we’ve got an update on how many people are playing Fortnite, but don’t think for a second that’s because the game’s popularity is waning. According to Epic Games there are now over 200 million registered Fortnite players, which is up from the 125 million figure they released in June. Of course, not all those 200 million accounts are active, but it’s still a damn impressive number.
In other news, Fortnite has received its latest update, which includes the Team Rumble Limited-Time Mode, Epic and Legendary shotguns, and a new Hero and quests for Save the World. Check out the notes for Fortnite update 6.31, below:
Limited Time Mode: Team Rumble
Two large teams fight for the Victory Royale in an action-packed mode where the first team to get 100 eliminations wins!
- Two teams of 20 players.
- Players will respawn after 5 seconds when eliminated, keeping their inventory.
- Eliminated players spawn a random type of ammo upon elimination, as well as a random stack of either 120 Wood, 90 Stone, or 60 Metal materials.
- Only Uncommon weapons (or better) are available.
- The first team to 100 eliminations wins.
Weapons + Items
New Epic and Legendary Pump Shotgun
- 105 / 110 maximum damage
- Available from floor loot, chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines.
- Shotguns will now always apply at least 3 pellets worth of damage if only 1-2 pellets hit the target.
- NOTE: Bonus pellets can never be critical hits.
- Pump Shotgun maximum damage increased from 80 / 85 to 95 / 100
- Pump shotguns will do higher damage in shorter range buckets but damage falls off quicker. This means you’ll do more damage to closer targets but less damage to farther targets.
- Added Stink Bombs to Supply Drops
- Removed Double Barrel Shotguns from floor loot
- Adjusted Mounted Turret collision to make it easier to land shots against anyone occupying it.
- Removed the ability to repair the Mounted Turret
- Fixed players being able to clip into turret barrels and get stuck.
- Supply drops will automatically open if landing on a Mounted Turret
- Drop rate reduced from 1.719% to 0.915%
- Reduced the in-air speed when using the Glider Redeploy feature in supported game modes.
Added functionality that allows the placement of map markers in the world without needing to go into the fullscreen map.
- You’ll be able to look at a position in the world and use the “Place Marker” keybind to place a map marker. This command will only be available by default while in Combat Mode.
- This command is defaulted to Left on the D-pad for controllers and the Middle Mouse button for PC and Mac.
- For Mobile players, this command will be bound to an optional button in the HUD Layout Tool.
Added the ability to pick up and throw back Dynamite with a lit fuse.
- To throw the Dynamite with a lit fuse, get near it and use the interact key.
New Tournament: Alchemist Pop-Up Cup
- Pop-Up Cups are tournaments testing temporary, Limited Time Modes. Alchemist will continue our testing of several gameplay adjustments and may differ day to day.
Initial Mode Settings:
- A material cap of 500 Wood, 500 Stone, 500 Metal
- Harvesting Rate Increased by 40%
- +50 Health on Eliminations
- Storm Surge: If a certain amount of players are remaining by the time the Storm finishes closing, a Storm Surge will activate. This periodically deals damage to players who have the least amount of damage dealt during the match.
- Circle 1: 60 Players Remaining, Circle 2: 44 Players Remaining, Circle 3: 30 Players Remaining, Circle 4: 20 Players Remaining, Circle 5: 16 Players Remaining, Circle 6: 14 Players Remaining, Circle 7: 12 Players Remaining, Circle 8: 6 Players Remaining, Circle 9: 2 Players Remaining
- Your highest score or pin during any event session will now be displayed on the tournament poster in the Events tab.
- Pins will now reflect tournament colors on the Event Details screen.
- Improvements to level streaming performance on Xbox One and Switch (improving building load times during skydiving)
- Player in-air falling audio cue volume has been increased.
- The Mounted Turret overheat audio loop volume has been reduced.
Save The World
Missions + Systems
Canny Valley Act 2!
New quests, new Ghost Town sub-biome, new story characters!
- 21 new quests and a new landmark mission tell the exciting new chapter of Canny Valley story
- Ghost Town sub biome – visit old Wild West towns now turned ghost towns, converted to amusement parks or movie sets. See great canyons, old forts, R&R spas and much more!
- Meet new story characters like the Global Storming Denier, Dr. Vinderman’s assistant Desiree or Carlos, the Steel Wool bass guitarist
- Experience the high-stakes story of fighting the Storm, reuniting Steel Wool and delving into Ray’s past!
Balance changes to mission and mission alert rewards:
- Tweaked the overall chance of Schematic/Survivor/Hero XP vs Crafting Ingredients vs Evolution Materials vs Perk Materials appearing as a mission reward, to better match what players need at different points in the progression.
- Significantly reduced the chance for Crafting Materials to appear as a mission reward, especially at higher difficulties.
- Made Epic and Legendary Perk-UP much more likely to appear at the top end of Twine Peaks by removing the chance of Uncommon and Rare Perk-UP.
Added Legendary Constructor – Airheart
- An Energetic tinkerer who fills the heart of the Storm with lead!
New Ability: R.O.S.I.E.
- Deploy the Rotating Omni-directional Sentry Integrated Exoskeleton on a friendly floor-piece!
- Once deployed, all allies can enter and fire R.O.S.I.E.
- There’s no time limit to how long R.O.S.I.E. can be fired as long as she still has ammo!
- Once out of ammo, or if the floor it is attached to is destroyed, R.O.S.I.E. goes on cooldown.
- Available in the Event Store on November 28 at 7 PM Eastern Time until the release of v7.00.
- Campaign of the R.O.S.I.E. – Increases the damage that R.O.S.I.E. deals by 24%.
- War of the R.O.S.I.E. – Increases the damage that R.O.S.I.E. deals by an extra 13%. Additionally, converts the damage type of R.O.S.I.E. to Energy.
Added Legendary Soldier – Steel Wool Carlos
- Legendary Variant of Shock Trooper
- Added to the Act 2 Canny Valley questline.
Weapons + Items
Six Feet Under shovel added to the Weekly Store.
- A creepy round-point shovel that looks like it has been used to dig up terrible secrets. The shovel handles like a lighter Sledgehammer, with better damage and less impact.
- Up and Over: A two-strike heavy attack that deals significant damage and knockback.
- Available Wednesday, November 28 at 7 PM EST until Wednesday, December 5 at 7 PM EST.
If you need the lowdown on ever bug fix, you can check out the full unabridged notes, right here.
Fortnite update 6.31 will also add the ability to gift items from the in-game shop, for those kids who only want Fortnite stuff from Santa. You can get more details, here.
Fortnite is available on PC, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and mobile platforms.