Flash and Root NBD90W Android 7.0 Nougat Security Update on LG Nexus 5X
Google has started rolling out October security updates to its Nexus devices, patching critical security vulnerabilities. You will receive over the air notifications to update your devices, however, they take their time before reaching to all users. If you don't want to wait, you can now manually update and root Nexus 5X on the latest NBD90W Android 7.0 Nougat.
Prerequisites to update and root Nexus 5X on NBD90W Android 7.0 Nougat
- Create a backup of all important data on your Nexus device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus in your computer.
- The Nexus 5X bootloader should be unlocked.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to enable USB Debugging.
- Ensure that your Nexus 5X carries more than 70% of charge.
Steps to update Nexus 5X to NBD90W Android 7.0
Required files: Download NBD90W Android 7.0 factory image (bullhead-nbd90w-factory-d2f11c5f.zip) for Nexus 5X on your PC.
- Connect Nexus 5X using a USB cable and turn it off. Make sure that Fastboot is installed on your PC.
- Now, start the device in Fastboot mode: Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys until you see the Fastboot menu and the START text on top.
- Extract the downloaded Android 7.0 file anywhere in your PC. Go to bullhead-nbd90w folder and copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory (which often is the platform-tools folder inside the Android SDK directory).
- This step involves flashing the desired factory image to your Nexus 5X. Open the folder containing the Android Nougat factory image downloaded and extracted. In the address bar, type cmd and type the command written below and press enter.
- On Windows: Run flash-all.bat
- On Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal
- On Linux: Run flash-all.sh
- Once the script finishes running, your Nexus 5X will reboot. First boot may take up to 5 minutes, so don't be worried if it takes your device longer than usual to boot up.
Done with the flashing process? Follow the instructions below to root Nexus 5X on Android 7.0 Nougat.
Steps to root Nexus 5X on NBD90W Android 7.0
- Download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download SuperSU v2.78 for Nexus on your PC.
- Make sure to have a custom recovery tool like CWM, or TWRP (Download link).
- Also, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Following are the steps to root Nexus 5X on NBD90W Android 7.0 Nougat.
- Connect Nexus 5X to your computer via USB.
- Copy and paste SuperSu zip file to your device's SD card root folder.
- Turn your Nexus off.
- Enter the Bootloader mode: power your Nexus on while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
- Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-220.127.116.11-angler.img
- Once done, enter recovery mode by choosing Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
- In the recovery mode (CWM or TWRP), scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
- Using the volume keys, locate SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip file and select it. Confirm the installation process.
- After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus device. First boot may take a few minutes.
Your Nexus 5X is now updated and rooted on NBD90W Android 7.0 Nougat. You can verify the root with any Root Checker app.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter