Are you hankering for a decent Attack on Titan Game? Wish Shadow of the Colossus had a bit more action? Well then, you ought to keep your eye on Extinction from developer Iron Galaxy (Divekick, Killer Instinct). The game’s combination of giant Titan-like enemies, combo-heavy action, and slick animated cutscenes holds a lot of promise. You can check out a new Extinction features trailer, which details the game’s story, combat, and mechanics, below.
It looks like Iron Galaxy’s experience with fighting games will be of benefit to Extinction. The game’s devs are promising a versatile, skill-based battle system which will offer plenty of opportunity for flashy combos and different approaches. Additionally, we’re shown how to take down the game’s massive ogre enemies, the Ravenii. You won’t be able to take on the big brutes right away – instead you’ll have to defeat smaller minions and save townsfolk to build up to a powerful, decapitating Rune Strike. Executive producer Derek Neal also lays out some broad story strokes…
“The world of Extinction is a place that's always been at war with itself. It's chaotic and filled with feuds and humanity has been fighting back and forth for centuries. In the midst of this, a giant portal opens up through which these monsters [the Ravenii] begin coming through and crushing people. These are the horrors of times past. A threat spoken of in children's fairytales. You can definitely expect some surprising twists and turns. Not everything is necessarily as it seems.”
- Deep Story Campaign: Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions: Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat: Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
- Interactive Environment: Move freely around a fully destructible environment and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios: Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Skirmish Mode: Create unique battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode: Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without respite.
Extinction stomps onto PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on April 10.