Download tvOS 12 Beta for Apple TV 4 & Apple TV 4K – How to
You can now download tvOS 12 Beta for Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K. This build is available for developers only.
Download tvOS 12 Beta on Your Apple TV Today and See What is New for Yourself
Registered developers can go ahead and download tvOS 12 Beta right now on their Apple TV devices and check out the new features which are being worked on. Even if you aren’t a developer and happen to have an Apple Developer Program membership, just follow the instructions below on how to download and install tvOS 12 Beta.
Clean Install tvOS 12 Beta on Apple TV 4
If you read that carefully, then you will be disappointed to learn that you can not clean install tvOS 12 Beta on the new Apple TV 4K. However, the over the air method is available. Why is that so? Because the Apple TV 4K does not ship with a USB-C or any other port that would allow you to interface the device with iTunes. Hence this ‘Clean Install’ method is applicable to the 1080p model of the Apple TV only.
Note: This method will erase everything off your Apple TV.
- Sign in using your Apple Developer Program account.
- Go to the Downloads section and grab the tvOS 12 Beta image file from there and save it on your desktop.
- Connect your Apple TV 4 to your Mac using a USB-C cable and launch iTunes.
- When your Apple TV is detected, it will appear as a tiny little Apple TV icon on the top left hand of iTunes. Click on it.
- Now click on the Restore Apple TV icon while holding down the left Option key.
- Select the tvOS 12 Beta firmware file and let iTunes restore it onto your Apple TV.
- Once everything is complete, unplug your Apple TV from your Mac, plug it back to your TV and start using normally.
Install tvOS 12 Beta Over the Air
Don’t want to go through the above fuss at all? Then perform an over the air update of tvOS 12 Beta instead. Just head over to your Apple Developer Program login page, select Downloads, then click on the blue Download button next to tvOS 12 and install the profile straight onto your Apple TV.
Once the profile is installed, head over to Settings > System > Software updates in tvOS in order to download the latest build. All subsequent builds will be delivered to you over the air.
Want to downgrade? Follow the guide outlined below: