Download And Install Android 4.2 JellyBean On Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Finally Android 4.2 Jellybean has started rolling out OTA for Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It is a bit surprising since flagship Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 went on sale yesterday, being the only Android 4.2 Jellybean devices, and simultaneously the 4.2 update started knocking on Galaxy Nexuses. Well, we don’t really have to analyze the business aspect of this and there are many who have already downloaded the update and are running the awesomeness of Android 4.2 on their phones. We aren’t sure if this OS update roll out is specific to certain geographic areas since we haven’t received a 4.2 update notification on our Galaxy Nexus.
In case you have a Galaxy Nexus device that’s not rooted, then you can follow the directions provided by this Over The Air update notification and get the deal done. However, for those who have unlocked bootloaders, rooted their devices and running a custom ROM, getting Android 4.2 Jellybean requires some ninja skills (just kidding, if you have already rooted your device and installed a custom ROM, then it won’t be much of a hassle).
Before proceeding further, you should understand all the risks involved in rooting and flashing a new ROM or Android operating system. We won’t responsible if you brick your device during the process or incur some other reversible or irreversible damage.
As we mentioned before, if you don’t have root on your device, then all you need to do is connect your phone over a stable Wi-Fi connection and wait for OTA update notification. And if you have root on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus, then follow the steps provided below to get your Galaxy Nexus upgraded to Android 4.2 Jellybean.
- The first step is to make sure that you have root on your device and running a custom ROM.
- Once you have verified presence of root and a custom ROM on your Galaxy Nexus, download the Android 4.1.2 factory image from here and flash it on your phone via recovery.
- After you have your phone reverted back to factory image and setting, download and flash custom ClockWorkMod Recovery on your phone. You can head to this link in order to find all related information regarding recovery download and installation.
- Now download the official OTA Android 4.2 Jellybean for GSM Galaxy Nexus from here and save the zip file to your SD Card root.
- After you have the zip file on your phone, reboot your phone into recovery and flash the zip file you just saved to SD Card root.
- Once the flashing is complete, reboot your device and you’ll be on the all new Android 4.2 Jellybean.
- In case, after flashing the new OS, you want to regain root rights, then download SuperUser 3.1.3 for ARM devices from here and flash it normally via ClockworkMod Recovery.
And there you go! Not only your Galaxy Nexus is now rocking the awesomeness of Android 4.2 Jellybean, but you now have permanent root as well. All credits for this tutorial go to senior XDA member and developer HAKA. Please head to the official XDA thread posted here in order to thank HAKA in person or if you are stuck, then again it’s a great resource to get guidance.