Destiny 2 Update Includes Festival of the Lost Halloween Event, Scout Rifle Buffs, More
Destiny 2 has dropped its first major update since August’s big pre-Forsaken 2.0 patch. The update includes a variety of changes, including scout rifle buffs, the return of Iron Banner, and, of course, your usual array of balance tweaks and fixes, but the big bullet point is the Festival of the Lost Halloween event. You can check out a quick Festival of the Lost trailer, below.
Light in the Dark
No one has heard from Eva Levante since the City fell. Shipwright Amanda Holliday has stepped up to raise everyone’s spirits. Thanks to her, the Tower is filled with merriment, as memories good and bittersweet fill our hearts. New Triumphs will be available for you to earn, and Holliday will offer daily bounties that award Fragmented Souls. These items can be used to purchase Festival of the Lost masks, as well as the Horror Story Legendary Auto Rifle. But even with the Tower illuminated by spooky violet candles, there's always something scary lurking just out of sight.
Fear and Fright
This year, Festival of the Lost brings more than just masks. For a limited time, all players of Destiny 2 are invited to the Haunted Forest. Guardians have been tasked with clearing out its ghouls and demons, which are spooking up a storm. You’ll have 15 minutes to dive as deep as you can into the Haunted Forest and clear out the Nightmares lying in wait. Be wary—the deeper you go, the more difficult your job will become.
On the Case
Master Ives has been struck down. Maybe someone wanted to settle an old score, or lost their temper when receiving an Edge Transit. Whatever provoked the wrongdoing, justice must be served. This pursuit of Master Ives' killers will take place through a quest line, which adds an additional powerful reward for you to earn each week. The hunt begins on Tuesday, October 30.
Treats for All
Alongside the Festival of the Lost rewards from Amanda Holliday and the Festival of the Lost Triumphs, players will earn an Ephemeral Engram every time they fill their XP bar after achieving the max character level. Players will receive this engram in addition to the Steadfast Engram, which effectively awards players double Bright Engrams for the duration of Festival of the Lost. Players may also purchase Ephemeral Engrams from Tess Everis in the Tower, if they so choose.
Not exactly the spookiest Halloween event ever, but Festival of the Lost seems like a decent little diversion. Meanwhile, here are your patch notes for Destiny 2 update 2.04:
- Now Throwing Hammers can be picked only if your own Throwing Hammer ability is not fully charged
- Fixed an issue in which Burning Maul’s slam attack was unintentionally triggering melee-based perks
- Banner Shield can no longer be over-penetrated by weapons with perks such as Armor-Piercing Rounds
- Resupply can now also benefit allies behind obstacles
- Fixed an issue in which Kill Clip would not trigger if players reloaded their weapon using Marksman’s Dodge while having the Dragon’s Shadow Exotic chest armor equipped
- Fixed an issue where Healing Rift and Well of Radiance could prevent weapon perks such as White Nail and Magnificent Howl from working properly
- Note: This introduced a bug where White Nail may occasionally activate after 2 hits. This will be addressed in a future update.
- Fixed an issue where Handheld Supernova could deal damage to allies
- Fixed an issue where Handheld Supernova kills would sometime appear as “Killed by the Architects” in the obituary and where the ability was inconsistent in triggering the Dark Matter perk
- Players will no longer perform the Atomic Breach melee ability when using the heavy attack of the Escalation Protocol Sword
- Fixed an issue in which using the Phoenix Protocol Exotic chest with Well of Radiance could result in weapons not rendering
- Casting Chaos Reach with your back up against a wall will no longer block the beam
- Fixed an issue in which Chaos Reach was dealing less damage at lower framerates; as a result, players may now notice an increase in total damage output
- Lucky Pants will no longer reload Hand Cannons that are not stowed
- Prodigal Grasps and Dragonfly Regalia Grasps will no longer block the player’s view when they are using a Bow
- Increased Scout Rifle damage against combatants
- Repositioned the scope on the Fighting Lion’s Lupus Visage ornament for better visibility while players are aiming down sights
- Decreased Fighting Lion damage to be brought in line with other breach-load Grenade Launchers
- Reduced aim assist on Sleeper Simulant
- Buffed aim assist on Linear Fusion Rifles (not including Sleeper Simulant)
- Updated the draw animation on Trinity Ghoul
- Updated the description of Ionic Return on Borealis to more accurately reflect its bonus damage behavior
- Gambit Quitter Penalties have been reenabled
- All Iron Banner bounties will now reward powerful gear
Iron Banner bounty requirements have been reduced:
- Lightbearer: Super kills reduced to 20 from 25
- Iron in the Blood: Match completions reduced to 15 from 30
- Shine On: Orbs generated reduced to 50 from 100
- Iron Victory: Match wins reduced to 7 from 10
- To Be Precise: Precision kills reduced to 50 from 100
- All in a Week’s Work: Kills reduced to 150 from 250
- Capture Zone waypoints no longer pulse when progress state changes or when in a Power Play in Iron Banner
- In Breakthrough, fixed an issue where the “Quick Strike” medal could be awarded for a short time after deploying the Breaker
- Corrected an issue where the new “Perimeter Control” medal in Control did not properly replace the deprecated “I Live Here Now” medal
Updated quest step “The Candidate” in “Forging the Broadsword” to new requirements: “In the Crucible, rapidly defeat opponents in groups of two or more.” This step will now track individual players defeated in a multikill instead of counting only “Double Play” medals
- Before, “Triple Play” rewarded +1 progress for 1 Double Play.
- Now, “Triple Play” will award +2 progress for “Double Play” and +1 for “Triple Play.”
Items and Economy
- Raised the low end of powerful gear, which slightly increases the average Power upgrade per powerful drop
- Edge Transit has some company; added Through Fire and Flood, Zenobia D, and Crooked Fang-4fr to world Legendary pool
- Removed “Trace Rifle Mastery” Crucible Triumph for players on all platforms
- Added Triumphs for completing Exotic badges in Collections
- “Trusted Right Hand” Triumph is now possible to complete
- It no longer requires more weekly bounties than are available in a week
- Triumphs to find all Ascendant chests in the Dreaming City no longer lose progress on the weekly reset if players have completed, but not yet claimed them
Transmat effects added to Collections, under the Flair category
- Transmat effects gained (inventory or postmaster), used, or dismantled after September 4, 2018 will be unlocked in Collections
- Transmat effects are unlocked when added to player inventory, NOT when gaining ships that have them pre-socketed
- Added event Ghosts to Collections
- Added Forsaken emblem variants to Collections
- Added missing emblems to Collections
- Source updated for the Grenade Launcher Through Fire and Flood: Obtained through Legendary drops and rank-up packages
- Added a recovery state for players who abandoned IGR bounties to acquire a weekly rotating IGR bounty for 250 Glimmer
- This recovery state persists until the next weekly reset
- Sturm quest will now increment when picking up Legendary and Exotic engrams
- Pinnacle wanted bounties from Spider will now complete for all members of the fireteam
- Bakken, the Relentless can now be summoned in the Divalian Mists
- Fixed an issue where the Blind Well could become locked if multiple players tried to activate it at once
- Heroic completion on the Rift Generator public event now consistently grants the appropriate rewards and properly counts toward Heroic public event completions
If you want to know about every bug fix included in Destiny 2 2.04, you can check out the full, unabridged patch notes, right here.
Destiny 2 recently released its major Forsaken expansion (here’s Wccftech’s full review) and has an extensive lineup of content scheduled for the next year (check out the roadmap here). Those who purchase Forsaken will now get access to all previous Destiny 2 DLC.
Destiny 2 is available for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter