Get ready for a Destiny 2 blowout, because Bungie just revealed a ton of new info their current and future plans during a packed livestream. First and foremost, Bungie provided the first trailer, gameplay, and details for their next major expansion, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen. It looks like this expansion is putting story content front-and-center with a major campaign expansion that will see you the Throne World of the Witch Queen herself, Savathûn, which Bungie is promising is the series’ biggest, baddest villain yet. The expansion will also introduce weapon crafting, including the all-new melee weapon type, the Glaive. Check out a teaser trailer for The Witch Queen, below.
The Witch Queen will launch this coming February. Here’s the game’s full gameplay reveal.
Here are the key features you can expect from The Witch Queen:
- Weapons and Crafting: With the new weapon crafting feature, for the first time in Destiny’s history players will be able to forge weapons, complete with unique combinations of mods, shaders, and advanced stats. Guardians will also wield a new weapon type – the Glaive, Destiny’s introduction to a 1st-person melee weapon, which will be capable of powerful melee attacks, mid-range blasts, and shielding its wielder.
- The Throne World: A twisted wonderland of corruption and splendor, Savathûn’s Throne World plays host to a fragile balance of terrifying power. Guardians will explore this brand-new destination and uncover the mysteries that reside in both the Darkness and the Light.
- Lucent Brood: Aim down sights at enemies who are infused with Light – the same Light that powers Guardians – complete with sinister abilities at once familiar and terrifying.
- New Activities: The Witch Queen brings new challenges, including a new six-player matchmade activity, a new raid set in the heart of a sunken Pyramid ship, and more.
Players can pre-order Destiny 2: The Witch Queen now to get instant access to a special Exotic Ghost Shell, Legendary emblem, and bonus items. Digital Deluxe owners also receive instant access to the new Exotic Enigma emote. Pre-orders for Destiny 2: The Witch Queen are available now on Steam, Stadia, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One via the Microsoft Store, and the PlayStation Store.
Before players get to tackle The Witch Queen, they’ll have the play through the prelude that is Destiny 2: Season of the Lost. This seasonal expansion features the return of Mara Sov, Queen of the Awoken, and it seems she may be scheming something with Osiris. The Season also includes the long-awaiting introduction of crossplay, anti-cheat, and multiplayer matchmaking to Destiny 2. Check out a trailer for Season of the Lost, below.
Here are Season of the Lost's key features:
- Astral Alignment and Shattered Realm: Breathe life into slumbering Awoken technology and triumph over those who fear the Light in Astral Alignment, a six-player matchmade activity. Align the ley-line network and then Wayfind through the Shattered Realm in search of Mara Sov’s lost tech witches. Rescue them and use the power they bestow to see this mysterious landscape with new eyes – to reach the unreachable.
- New Exotic Quest: A weapon of great power, locked away by Mara Sov for her brother, Uldren. The hands that hold Ager’s Scepter hold the keys to areas of the Shattered Realm previously barred. Untangle the layers of Awoken security and reach the Exotic weapon before it falls into the wrong hands.
- Crossplay Is Here: Play with and against your fellow Guardians across the solar system, regardless of platform.
Next up, this December will see the release of the Destiny 2 Bungie 30th Anniversay Pack, which will include an array of return cosmetics and favorite weapons, including the Gjallarhorn!
Coming this December to Destiny 2: the Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack.
💠New pirate-themed Dungeon
💠Thorn-inspired Armor Set
💠Bungie-themed ornaments and cosmetics
💠Claymore Sword from Myth
💠and more! pic.twitter.com/y7EyNKrtow
— Destiny 2 (@DestinyTheGame) August 24, 2021
The return of the king.
The legendary Gjallarhorn returns this December in the 30th Anniversary Pack. pic.twitter.com/OusotyW7FW
— Destiny 2 (@DestinyTheGame) August 24, 2021
Finally, Bungie also announced Destiny 2: The Final Shape, which will follow both The Witch Queen and Lightfall expansion and bring an end to the Light and Dark saga. As of now, that’s all we know about it. Lightfall isn't coming until 2023, so don't expect The Final Shape until 2024.
Destiny 2 is available now on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5, and Stadia. The Season of the Lost kicks off today (August 24) in around an hour, and The Witch Queen launches on February 22, 2022.