Android Pie Update Rolling Out for the Nokia 8 Sirocco
The closest thing HMD Global has to a 'flagship' is the Nokia 8 Sirocco. But, unlike most flagships released alongside it, the device is yet to receive the much-awaited Android Pie update. HMD Global has an impeccable track record when it comes to updating their devices, and the Nokia 8 Sirocco may have somehow slipped through the cracks. The update is tad overdue, and we expected it to hit the airwaves after its predecessor—the Nokia 8—got the update. According to HMD Global's press release:
HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, has today announced that the Nokia 8 Sirocco will now begin receiving the latest Android operating system, Android 9 Pie.
The Nokia 8 Sirocco, unlike the Nokia 8, gets the full Android Pie experience as it isn't hindered by factors such as a physical hardware button. Here are some key features that will be implemented with the update.
- App Actions- Gets things done faster by predicting your next move and displaying the right action on your phone
- Slices – Identifies relevant information of your favorite apps to make them more easily accessible when you need them
- Adaptive Battery – Uses deep learning to understand usage patterns and prioritize battery power on important apps
- Adaptive Brightness – Automatically adapts phone brightness by learning from your interactions
- New system navigation – Features a single home button that provides intelligent predictions and suggestions (user enabled)
- Dashboard – Highlights screen time and phone usage including how many times the device has been unlocked and the number of notifications received
- App Timers – Set time limits on app usage
- Wind Down and Do Not Disturb – Set a daily schedule to get your phone ready for bed. Your screen fades to Grayscale, while Do Not Disturb silences notifications for a restful sleep. You can activate Do Not Disturb anytime you want to disconnect.
The update is expected to weigh in at about 1.2-1.5GB and is rolling out in batches. You can expect to see a notification about it in the coming week.