Android Pie Update Rolling Out for OnePlus 3 and 3T Users
Earlier last year, OnePlus promised that the OnePlus 3 and 3T would receive Android Pie. OnePlus was silent on the matter for a long time, but delivered on their promise a few weeks ago. Android Pie was avaiable for OnePlus 3 and 3T via a closed beta. Today, OnePlus is rolling out Android Pie to the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T after a few months of beta testing.
Android Pie is rolling out to the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T through a staged rollout. This means that only a handful of users will get the update today, with a broader rollout in the coming days and weeks. This is done to ensure that the update is free from any major device-breaking bugs. Using a VPN to download this build might not work as the rollout is not based on regions and is randomly pushed out to a very limited number of devices. Here’s the changelog according to OnePlus’ blog post.
- Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- Updated Android security patch to 2019.4
Do Not Disturb mode
- You can now customize the time range in the new Do Not Disturb mode
New Gaming mode 3.0
- Supported displaying text content of the heads up notifications
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Dialer now supports Google Duo
- Supports Google Lens to provide you with powerful image recognition experience
- General bug fixes and improvements
The update brings all Android Pie’s goodies along with some new Oxygen OS features. This build carries OxygenOS version 9.0.2 and the April 2019 security patch. The OnePlus 3 was launched back in June of 2016, with the 3T landing that year in November. It isn’t often that older devices get more than two years of majow software upgrades, so the move sets a good precedent for other OEMs to push more than two updates for their aging flagships.