Sombra Finally Revealed; Overwatch League Announced
Learn everything you need about the BlizzCon 2016 reveal of the notorious Hacker and the introduction of the Overwatch League.
Overwatch fans have been patiently waiting for Blizzard Entertainment to officially reveal Sombra for some time now. The Overwatch Animated Short titled Infiltration follows Sombra, Reaper, and Widowmaker on an assassination mission. When things don’t work out for the team, it’s up to Sombra to complete the mission.
Sombra is an offensive stealth character who specializes in taking down enemy shields and disrupting their special attacks, leaving them vulnerable to her deadly machine pistol.
Here’s what Sombra brings to fight:
- Machine Pistol – Sombra’s fully-automatic machine pistol fires in a short-range spread.
- Hack- Sombra hacks enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
- Thermoptic – Sombra becomes invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
- Translocator – Sombra tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
- EMP – Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
If that wasn’t enough Overwatch news, Blizzard also unveiled the Overwatch League, a new e-sports eco-system that puts the players in the center. Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment, said:
The Overwatch League represents not only the pinnacle of Overwatch competition, but also a genuine career opportunity for the most skilled Overwatch players. We’re building a league that’s accessible to players and fans, sustainable, and exciting for everyone involved.
The teaser trailer is more of a hype video showing the rise, fall, and rise of a fictional e-sports athlete. Details are light at the moment, but Blizzard laid out the roadmap and what’s to come down the line for the Overwatch League:
- The PreSeason – Proven stars and leaderboard heroes will assemble in one global talent pool. Teams then maneuver to sign the best players and build sturdy rosters for the season ahead.
- The Inaugural Season – League action streams live every week, including a standalone primetime matchup between top teams. Game highlights and other features fill in the gaps between game days.
- The Championship Run – During epic live events, the very best Overwatch teams compete to become legends as the first-ever Overwatch League world champions.
- In the Future – League expansion in every direction will make the Overwatch League truly global; finishing with an elite tournament where champions battle champions for undisputed
Sombra is playable at Blizzcon this weekend and will make it to Overwatch’s Public Test Region servers next week.