Redstone 4 may have been stuck in a limbo but Windows 10 Redstone 5 development appears to be going blazing fast. Microsoft has just released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17655 from the RS5 branch for Skip Ahead Insiders.
Microsoft says that it's transforming the networking stack after 20 years, introducing a new and more reliable driver model. With today's build, Insiders on Skip Ahead will be able to test the new and improved Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver.
Here's everything that is new, improved and fixed with Windows 10 Redstone 5 Build 17655.
Mobile Broadband (LTE) connectivity on Windows gets a makeover
Windows is transforming the networking stack after 20 years through the Net Adapter framework. This framework introduces a new, more reliable, network driver model that inherits the goodness of the Windows driver framework while bringing an accelerated data path.
In this build, we are introducing a new and improved Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver based on this Net Adapter framework. We can’t wait for you to try out our new driver in the latest RS5 Insider Preview builds.
If your PC supports Mobile Broadband, i.e., your PC relies on cellular network for connectivity, and you want to help out? Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Ensure your PC can support SIM cards and USB modems (either over the internal USB bus or using a USB dongle for cellular connectivity).
Step 2: Install this build (Build 17655 and higher) and setup cellular connectivity.
Step 3: Choose the Net Adapter based MBB USB class driver as default driver.
- Navigate to Device Manager. (You can right-click on the Start button to get there.) Go to Network Adapters -> Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter or xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter
- Right-click and choose update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Choose Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter -> Click Next.
- Once installed reboot for the new driver to take effect.
- Ensure the status of the connection remains “Connected”.
Note: Follow the instructions in Step 5 to revert to the default driver(xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter), in case of issues with Net Adapter driver(Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter).
You are all set. We are excited for you to try our driver!
Step 5: For Internet access, try using cellular network primarily by turning off Wi-Fi
To report issues and give feedback, use Feedback Hub on your PC and set Category and subcategory as Network and Internet -> Connecting to a cellular network. Use [cxwmbclass] in the summary.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- In this build, the brightness toggle from the Battery flyout in the Notification Area on the taskbar has been removed for an improved user experience.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where dragging a favorite from one folder in the favorites bar to another didn’t work.
For more details and known issues that plague today's Windows 10 Redstone 5 Preview Build, head over to the company's blog post.