New Windows 10 RS2 Insider Preview 14955 Released Ahead of Microsoft’s Event Tomorrow
Ahead of its event tomorrow, Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Redstone 2 Preview build 14955 to both PC and Mobile. Insiders in the Fast ring can now install this latest update. Today's release also fixes earlier installation issues that Insiders faced with the Windows 10 Mobile 14951.
Microsoft will talk more about the future of Windows 10 at its event in New York City tomorrow at 10AM EDT. Until then, install this latest build to experience some more new updates and improvements.
Windows 10 Redstone 2 Build 14955 for Mobile and PC
Unlike previous Preview builds, today's build doesn't bring a super long list of "What's new." Here is the Windows 10 Redstone 2 build 14955 changelog.
Outlook Mail & Calendar Update (PC & Mobile): We have updated the Outlook Mail and Calendar apps to 17.7466.4062x.0.. This update introduces a few new things for you to check out:
- You can now open email messages in a new window.
- You can now use Quick Actions directly from new email notifications.
- Get someone’s attention with @mentions. Type the @ symbol anywhere in the body of your email and start typing to pick the person you want to address.
Context Awareness in Narrator (PC): As you navigate around, you can be notified about different groups or other areas you move to, such as groups in the Office ribbon. To configure the amount of context you hear, cycle through options with ALT + Caps Lock + /. To change whether the context is read before the item with focus or after, use CTRL + Caps Lock + /. To check the context at any point. Press Caps Lock + D twice.
Known issues in Mobile
Microsoft fixed the installation troubles with Windows 10 Mobile build 14951. But, some of the new known issues include:
- Some Insiders are receiving an 0x80242006 error trying to update to the latest builds. We are investigating – see this forum post.
- You will be unable to install additional languages, keyboards, and speech packs on your phone for the next few weeks. If you have existing languages, keyboards, and speech packs installed – they will carry over when you update to new builds. You just can’t install any new ones. If you do a hard reset of your phone on these builds – you will also be unable to install additional languages, keyboards, and speech packs. You can use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile, install any languages, keyboards, and speech packs you need and then update to the latest build in the Fast ring as a workaround.
- Excel Mobile will freeze after adding sheets and eventually crashes.
On the PC side, the previous issue persists where users might not be able to complete the update process if they have a 3rd party antivirus product installed. Dona Sarkar also warned that Insiders "may experience the Windows Ink Workspace crashing when using the protractor."
The company has also introduced a number of bug fixes and performance improvements. For more, visit the official release post.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter