Nintendo Switch Emulator Yuzu Now Runs Super Mario Odyssey Incredibly Well
Yuzu, the open-source Nintendo Switch emulator project, is progressing at an incredible speed. Announced in mid-January 2018 from the developers of Citra (a Nintendo 3DS emulator), it began booting fairly simple commercial games in April 2018.
Two months ago, the latest Yuzu build managed to get Super Mario Odyssey to actually go in-game. Now, the game is almost perfectly playable on the Nintendo Switch emulator as you can see in the video below, posted on YouTube by BSoD Gaming.
This is much faster than the Nintendo WiiU emulator, Cemu, which originally released in 2015 but only last year got to a point where it runs several games (chiefly The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild) almost perfectly. It could be because the Nintendo Switch uses a well-known architecture, the NVIDIA Tegra X1, that's much simpler to reverse-engineer compared to the one used for the WiiU.
Those interested in supporting Yuzu can do so by donating via Patreon.
yuzu is a work-in-progress Nintendo Switch emulator capable of running several commercial games! yuzu is an open-source project, licensed under the GPLv2 (or any later version). yuzu has been designed with portability in mind, with builds available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. We've made great progress getting several popular games showing graphics, but there is still tons of work to be done! Most games run slow, with graphical glitches, poor audio, or do not get past the intro logos. We'd like to do what we can to deliver the best possible experience for emulating Switch games, and for that we need your support!
The money received will go towards:
- Supporting the core yuzu developers so they can work as much as possible on yuzu and buy any hardware required for development and testing.
- Web hosting and infrastructure setup.
- Paying other project related expenses.
What the patrons get in exchange:
- Prioritized technical support on Discord. We know that emulation can have a steep learning curve, and that users often need a hand to get started. While this may be a bit time-consuming with such a large and active project as yuzu, we will do our best to prioritize our supports first.
- An ability to affect the development of the emulator. Priorities of some tasks can be adjusted according to your wishes.
- A huge THANK YOU for supporting us!
- The emulator, yuzu - actively developed with the features our users want, forever free and open source!