Super Mario Maker 2 Adding New 3D World Style, Multiplayer, That Terrifying Sun, More
When Nintendo first revealed Super Mario Maker 2 earlier this year, it looked like the game was going to be a relatively conservative update to the Wii U game. That would have been fine, as the original was great, but it turns out the game is more ambitious than we might have thought. A Super Mario Maker 2 Nintendo Direct just dropped, revealing a ton of fresh features for the game, including the Super Mario 3D World style, co-op and versus multiplayer, more online options, and a huge number of new elements to play with. If you’ve got around 20 minutes to spare, you can check out the full Direct, below.
Here’s a quick bullet point rundown of all the news stuff Nintendo’s added to Super Mario Maker 2:
Super Mario 3D World style. The levels will still be 2D, but they’ll include a number of exclusive elements lifted from 3D World, including…
- The ability to play as Cat Mario
- Transparent pipes
- Warp box
- Spike block
- ! Block
- Blinking phase blocks
- Tracking blocks
- Mushroom trampolines
- Piranha Creepers
- Skipsqueaks who time their jumps with Mario
- Charvaargh lava monsters
- Pom Pom
- Banzai Bills that can fly towards the screen
- Cat Bowzer
- A Koopa Troopa car, because why not?
Story Mode. Complete 100 Nintendo-designed levels while rebuilding a castle. As the castle expands you’ll even be able to take on sidequests.
Mutliplayer. Play Mario Maker with up to four people online, or locally if you’re playing co-op.
- Multiplayer Versus mode which challenges you to get to the goal first. Winning will raise your versus rating.
- Multiplayer Co-op mode – one person gets to the goal and everybody wins!
Course World. Online course sharing has been improved.
- Browse by popular courses, or use tags.
- Comment on courses
- New Maker profiles you can dress up with various cosmetics.
And finally, here’s a big unsorted list of other elements being added to the game!
- That goddamn Angry Sun
- Snake Blocks
- Red and Blue Switch blocks
- On/Off switches
- Swinging Claws
- Changing water or lava levels
- Set scroll rates
- Vertical sub areas
- Banzai Bill
- Dry Bones shell
- 10 Coin
- New Sound effects
- Twister enemies
- Boom Boom
- Desert, Snow, Forest, and Sky themes
- Day/Night system. Gameplay will change in subtle ways during the night.
- New music from legendary original Mario composer Koji Kondo!
Phew! I told you they’ve added a lot of stuff! Nintendo also announced the Super Mario Maker 2 + Nintendo Switch Online bundle, that gets you the game and a year’s subscription to the service for $70. Usually a year of Nintendo Switch Online costs $20, so you’re getting a small savings. Nintendo will also be holding a Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational alongside their already announced pre-E3 Splatoon 2 and Smash Bros. tournaments on June 8.
Super Mario Maker 2 launches on June 28. Are you excited to get building?
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter