Google has just pushed out a major update to Google Maps for iOS introducing quite a few new features. These features also include the much-awaited option to save offline maps. Some of the other features include lane guidance in turn-by-turn directions, improved transit results, advanced search filtering and more.
Note: offline maps saving capability was already present in Google Maps, however, it was more of an "OK Maps easter egg" fun feature than a properly supported and laid out feature.
How to save offline Maps in updated app:
Finally bringing the offline maps on board and making the feature more easily discoverable, Google has focused on various features for this Maps 3.0 update. Google Maps 3.0 makes it easier for you to save and access maps when your device is not connected to the internet. Here are a few steps that you can follow to save offline maps in Google Maps:
- Search for the place where you want to save offline maps.
- Maps show you an info sheet at the bottom of your device' screen, tap on it and scroll down.
- Now tap on the Save map to use offline option.
- You will get a prompt to confirm if you wish to save this map.
- Pan and zoom to adjust the area of the map that you want to save for offline accessibility.
- Once done, tap on the Save option at the bottom.
- You will then be asked to enter a name for the map. Type and tap on Save again.
Ta da! Now you will be able to access the offline maps from Settings > Map History.
Google Maps 3.0 complete features' list:
- Turn-by-turn navigation now gives lane guidance and quick access to route overview (US and Canada only)
- View travel time, distance, and estimated arrival all at once in navigation mode (US only)
- Save offline maps to a custom list for when you’re traveling or have a slow connection
- Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Filter search results for restaurants, bars and hotels by rating, price, opening hours, and more (US only)
- Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
Things you’ve been asking for
- Access your iPhone or iPad contacts directly from the Google Maps app
- Tap and hold anywhere on the map to drop a pin, save and share that location
- Search without typing using Google Voice Search
- Scale bar to estimate distances on the map