Install and Root NOF27B Android 7.1.1 Official Firmware on Google Pixel
Google has started rolling out this month's security updates to its Pixel and Nexus devices. March security update fixes over 24 security vulnerabilities. Don't want to wait for the OTA notifications? You can now manually update your Google Pixel and root NOF27B Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
Prerequisites to flash and root NOF27B Android 7.1.1
- Create a backup of all important data on your Pixel.
- Download and install USB drivers for Pixel on your computer.
- The bootloader should be unlocked.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to enable USB Debugging.
- Ensure that your Pixel carries more than 70% of charge.
How to flash and root NOF27B Android 7.1.1 on Google Pixel
Required files: Download NOF27B Android 7.1.1 factory image for your Google Pixel from here.
- Connect your Pixel to your PC using a USB cable and turn it off.
- Now, start the device in Fastboot mode: Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys until you see the Fastboot menu and the START text on top.
- Extract the downloaded Nougat file anywhere on your PC. Go to _NOF27B_ folder and copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory (which often is the platform-tools folder inside the Android SDK directory).
- Now, we will flash the factory image on your Pixel phone. Open the folder containing the factory image downloaded and extracted. In the address bar, type cmd and type the command written below and press enter.
- Windows: Run flash-all.bat
- Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal
- Linux: Run flash-all.sh
Once the script finishes running, your Google Pixel will reboot. First boot may take up to 5 minutes, so don't be worried if it takes your device longer than usual to boot up. Once it's back up, your Pixel will be running Android 7.1.1 Nougat NOF27B and it's now time to root it - that is, if you want to.
Root NOF27B Android 7.1.1 Nougat official firmware on Google Pixel
- Download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download SuperSU v2.78 SR5 for your Pixel device on your PC.
- Download TWRP recovery tool (zip) from here and store the ZIP file in the root directory of your phone.
- Also, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create the directory if not already there.
Step 1: Connect Pixel to your computer via USB.
Step 2: Copy and paste SuperSu zip file to your device storage's root folder.
Step 3 Download TWRP img file from here and save it in the same directory you had extracted Fastboot/ADB files.
Step 4: Turn your Google Pixel off.
Step 5: Reboot in the Bootloader mode: go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
(You can also turn off your phone and then hold down Volume Down key while powering it back on to get into the Bootloader mode.)
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-sailfish.img - replace twrp-3.0.2-0 if you are using newer versions.
Step 7: Once done, your Pixel will enter in TWRP Recovery.
Step 8: Select Install and choose the TWRP installer zip file. Then, Swipe to Confirm Flash at the bottom of the screen to start the installation process. This step will ensure your TWRP doesn’t get reset to stock on reboot.
Step 9: Reboot your Google Pixel into recovery mode.
Step 10: In the recovery mode, tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file downloaded earlier. Swipe to confirm flashing.
Step 11: Once SuperSU is flashed, you’ll get Reboot System option to reboot your device.
Your Google Pixel is now updated and rooted on the latest and official Android 7.1.1 NOF27B. You can verify the root with any Root Checker app.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter