Root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970
The CM team started rolling out CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly builds for Samsung Galaxy S4 models. US Cellular can now also be flashed with CM10.1 nightly. CyanogenMod is a very popular custom firmware and supports a bulk of devices from Galaxy S to the very recent Galaxy S4 models. The ROM is updated quite often and bugs are also taken care of with constant development.
Important: this guide is specifically written for US Cellular Galaxy S4 model SCH-R970, please do not try it on any other devices or models. Please check CM10.1 for Verizon, CyanogenMod for T-Mobile, CM 10.1 for Sprint SGS4 and CM10.1 for AT&T to flash CyanogenMod on other Galaxy S4 models.
Prerequisites to root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery or TWRP is installed.
- Ensure that your SGS4 carries more than 70% of charge.
Guide to root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
- Connect your smartphone with the computer using the USB data cable and copy both these files on your Galaxy S4.
- Disconnect US Cellular Galaxy S4 from the PC and switch it off to boot it into the recovery mode: press the volume up, home and power buttons simultaneously - release when the Samsung logo shows up.
- From the recovery mode menu, select wipe data/factory reset option and confirm the operation. Select the wipe cache partition to clear the cache and wipe dalvik cache to clear dalvik.
- Now, flash the ROM file: select install zip from sdcard and follow by taping on the choose zip from the sdcard option. Locate the CM10.1 for Galaxy S4 ROM file and confirm installation.
- Once done, repeat the above step and install the Google Apps package file instead of the firmware file.
- Now go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot your US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 to the newly flashed CM 10.1 Nightly mode.
Congrats for upgrading to one of the most popular custom firmware!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter