MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X OC 11 GB Review – The Thunderous GeForce Gaming Graphics Card
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning XJune 2017
We used the following test system for comparison between the different graphics cards. Latest drivers that were available at the time of testing were used from AMD and NVIDIA on an updated version of Windows 10. All games that were tested were patched to the latest version for better performance optimization for NVIDIA and AMD GPUs.
|CPU||Intel Core i9-7900X @ 4.5 GHz|
|Motherboard||ASUS X299 PRIME Deluxe|
|Video Cards||MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X (Overclock)
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X (Overclock)
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OC (Overclock)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (Reference)
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor X OC (Overclock)
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning OC (Overclock)
XFX Radeon R9 Fury X (Reference)
|Memory||G.SKILL Trident Z Series 32GB (4 X 8GB) CL16 3600 MHz|
|Hard Disk||Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVMe|
|Storage Disk||Seagate 3 TB (7200 RPM) Hard Disk Drive|
|Power Supply||Corsair RM 750X Gold Plus|
|Drivers||NVIDIA GeForce 388.00 / AMD Radeon Software Crimson Relive 17.7.2|
|Operation System||Windows 10 64-bit (Creators Fall Update)|
- All games were tested on 2560×1440 (2K) and 3840×2160 (4K) resolutions.
- Image Quality and graphics configurations have been provided in the screenshots below.
- Games with PhysX were benchmarked with the settings on Low or off for fair comparisons.
- The “reference” cards are the stock configs while the “overclock” cards are factory overclocked configs provided to us by various AIB partners.
Do note that the OC profile also overclocks the memory to 11124 MHz which is higher than what’s usually shipped by other AIBs making 1080 Ti custom model. This would yield an additional gain in performance.
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Overclocking:
For overclocking, I pushed the core to +185 MHz beyond it’s overclock profile and +500 MHz on the memory. The end result was the memory bandwidth boosting beyond 544 GB/s and the core boost beyond 2160 MHz under gaming load. By increasing the power limit, I managed to get a pretty big overclock which was shocking at first as most other 1080 Ti cards top out around 2050-2120 MHz. I guess we will be testing out the card whether it can stick with the overclocked speeds and deliver us a nice boost in gaming performance compared to the other GTX 1080 Ti’s.
- Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. NVIDIA Embraces FinFET With Pascal Graphics Architecture
- 3. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Overview
- 4. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Package
- 5. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Unboxing
- 6. Test Setup
- 7. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (VULKAN)
- 8. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (DirectX 12)
- 9. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (DirectX 11)
- 10. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Thermal Tests
- 11. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Power Consumption
- 12. Conclusion - MSI's 1080 Ti Lightning X Is The God of Thunder For GeForce Users