MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X OC 11 GB Review – The Thunderous GeForce Gaming Graphics Card
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning XJune 2017
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Power Consumption
I compiled the power consumption results by testing each card under idle and full stress when the card was running games. Each graphics card manufacturer sets a default TDP for the card which can vary from vendor to vendor depending on the extra clocks or board features they plug in on their custom cards. Default TDP for the GTX 1080 Ti is set at 250W and since we are testing a custom board, the figures can be lower or also exceed the default TDP.
The new 16nm process on the GeForce 10 series cards based on Pascal architecture deliver huge increases in performance per watt values meaning that the GTX 1080 Ti is able to deliver higher performance while sipping in drastically lower power than the 980 Ti OC.
In the case of our MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X sample, we are looking at three 8 pin power connectors. These would immediately indicate a 525W power consumption but in real world usage, the card never reached that limit. The extra power is only for extreme overclocking sessions which the board is designed to handle. In LN2 cases, overclocks can be performed on the board with use of custom power mods and BIOS that can allow the board to utilize more power for better clocking and voltage supply to the GPU and memory. In regular gaming sessions, we don’t see that kind of power use and the overall consumption remains close to other GTX 1080 Ti cards.
You can see the results for yourself below which show that the GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X has a total power input of 349W with OC profile while the GTX 980 Ti Lightning has a peak draw of 351W. We can see that the GTX 1080 Ti offers much more performance at a slightly same power input which demonstrates its efficiency increase.
- Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. NVIDIA Embraces FinFET With Pascal Graphics Architecture
- 3. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Overview
- 4. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Package
- 5. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Unboxing
- 6. Test Setup
- 7. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (VULKAN)
- 8. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (DirectX 12)
- 9. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Benchmarks (DirectX 11)
- 10. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Thermal Tests
- 11. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X Power Consumption
- 12. Conclusion - MSI's 1080 Ti Lightning X Is The God of Thunder For GeForce Users