Intel Core i9-9900K 8 Core and 16 Thread 5.0 GHz CPU Review Ft. Z390 AORUS Master Motherboard
AORUS Z390 MasterOctober, 2018
AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard - Features
AORUS sent us their top of the motherboard, the AORUS Z390 Master for this review. This flagship motherboard carries a top end design that boasts literally every feature that gamers demand. You can expect the best overclocking capabilities, faster 4266+ MHz DRAM support, high-end audio driver, wireless connectivity on board and a futuristic design scheme that can take true advantage of overclocking capabilities that Coffee Lake unlocked CPUs have to offer. The motherboard being aimed at the high-end also comes at a high price of $289.99 US.
AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard Specifications:
- Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel Core Processors
- Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
- Intel Optane Memory Ready
- 12 Phases IR Digital VRM Solution with PowIRstage
- Advanced Thermal Design with Fins-Array Heatsink and Direct Touch Heatpipe
- Onboard Intel CNVi 802.11ac 2x2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi
- 125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC with WIMA audio capacitors
- USB TurboCharger for Mobile Device Fast Charge Support
- Intel Gigabit LAN with cFosSpeed
- RGB FUSION with Multi-Zone Addressable LED Light Show Design, Supports Addressable LED & RGB LED Strips
- Smart Fan 5 features Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP
- Front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C Header
- Triple Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 with Triple Thermal Guard
- USB DAC-UP 2 with Adjustable Voltage
- CEC 2019 Ready, Save Power With a Simple Click
AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard Gallery:
Starting off with the Z390 AORUS Master, we will be getting the most advanced AORUS design to date with the LGA 1151 socket supporting either 8th or 9th Gen processors. The CPU socket is powered by dual 8-pin connectors with a solid metal armor around them.
One crucial thing to note here is that the Z390 AORUS Master comes with a total of 12 IR Digital VRMs. The PWM design includes 12 IR3553 40A MOSFETs and 6 IR3599 Phase Doublers. The one on the Z390 AORUS Xtreme is an even higher end, rocking a 16 phase design (TDA21462 60A) and 8 Phase Doublers.
The only other board to use International Rectifier components is the Z390 AORUS I Pro WiFi which has a 6 phase design IR35201 PWM unit (IR3553 40A MOSFETs) but no Doublers like the high-end models. All of these motherboards should ensure top-notch overclocking and the best stability on unlocked 9th and 8th Gen processors. AORUS themselves state that the boards will offer 5 GHz+ overclocking capabilities across all 8 cores.
The top tier motherboards come with Direct Touch heatsinks that make use of a large aluminum fin array and embedded heat pipes for the best cooling performance on an Intel Z390 platform. AORUS is the only motherboard vendor to offer fin stack cooling heatsinks across all platforms such as Z390, X470, and X399. Four DDR4 DIMM slots offer support for up to 64 GB of memory support at speeds of 4400 MHz (OC+) on the AORUS Z390 Master. Storage includes six SATA III ports while expansion capabilities include three PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16/x8/x4 electrical), three PCIe x1 slots and three M.2 slots. All three M.2 slots are covered by the AORUS M.2 shield which looks fantastic and has a thermal pad beneath to keep your high-end M.2 storage device running in a stable operation.
I/O on the AORUS Z390 Master includes 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C) ports, 3 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-A) ports, 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports. On the rear panel, you can find 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C) ports, 3 USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C) ports, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports from the ones mentioned above, the rest are used as internal connectors for front panel support. Other I/O includes a power reset button, a clear CMOS button, 2 SMA antenna connectors which use the Intel CNVi interface 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, supporting 2.4/5 GHz Dual-Band and Bluetooth v5.0 with up to 1.73 Gbps transfer rates, 1 HDMI port, 1 RJ-45 (Intel Gigabit) Ethernet LAN port, 1 SPDIF optical out port and a 5 channel HD audio jack (ALC1220-VB & ESS SABRE 9118 DAC).