Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC 11 GB Graphics Card Review – Return of The Windforce
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OCSeptember 2018
The Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC comes in at a $30 US premium over the Founders Edition with a price tag of $1229.99 US. That isn’t much higher compared to NVIDIA’s own solution but the price is already way too high and that puts gamers in a tough spot who are looking to get the absolute best gaming performance with the GeForce RTX 20 series cards.
For an extra $30 US, you get slightly better performance, thanks to a +30 MHz out of the box boost overclock. The Founders Edition has a +90 MHz out of the box at 1635 MHz while the Gaming OC is rated at 1665 MHz out of the box. You get the same Founders Edition PCB which allows you great overclocking clocks considering it packs a 13+3 phase PCB design but the difference that the OC yields aren’t much big of an improvement. Maybe if some games are just lacking that 4K 60 FPS spot, the extra OC can give you a nice boost but don’t expect miracles as the reference PCB is still bound to a certain level due to locked voltages by NVIDIA. It is a really good design but if you want a custom PCB, you have to pay a higher premium.
In addition to the overclock, you get a nice triple fan Windforce cooler that offers better cooling than the Founders Edition dual axial fan design. It is also a dual slot design with the standard PCB length which makes it an easy fit inside any PC chassis. The cooler is fitted with a very bulky heatsink that offers larger contact surface and to top it off, the backplate, which is stunning, comes with extra thermal pads for good thermal transfer on the opposite side of the card.
NVIDIA themselves have a reference solution that doesn’t look reference at all. In fact, it is their rival solution against custom board partner cards. But AIBs like Gigabyte have always tried their best to release cards that offer something extra over the reference NVIDIA solution. The Gaming OC proofs that AIBs can still deliver solutions that are designed to offer better performance and cooling over the Founders Edition card. If you are aiming for a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti for your new gaming rig, then the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC from Gigabyte offers a great cooler that performs and looks great while keeping those clocks running stable around the 2 GHz range.
- Great performance at the 4K resolution
- Great upgrade from GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1080
- Factory Overclocked Out of Box (+30 MHz over Founders Edition)
- Windforce heatsink cooling performance is great
- Refreshing new Gigabyte Gaming design
- Active FanTechnology Included on Triple Fan with Alternate Spinning mode
- Great overclocking potential, full tuning options
- Memory modules on the Gaming OC can hit more than 750 GB/s bandwidth
- Backplate includes heat pads for increased heat dissipation
- RGB Lighting support on the shroud and sides are a plus
- Support for real-time ray tracing and DLSS features in next-generation gaming titles
- Good driver support for GeForce products, compatibility with DX11, DX12, Vulkan, OpenGL titles
- Performance per watt is great on Turing graphics cards
- Lot's of display connectivity, great for VR and multi-display PCs.
- Very High Priced ($1229.99 US)
- Very high power consumption when overclocked
- No RTX and DLSS games available on launch
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.