AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32 Core, $1999 US CPU Review With TRX40 AORUS Master Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X CPU / TRX40 AORUS Master Motherboard2019
TRX40 AORUS Master Motherboard - Features
AORUS has introduced its new TRX40 motherboard lineup which includes three products, the TRX40 AORUS XTREME, TRX40 AORUS Master and the TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI. The board I am going to test today is the TRX40 AORUS Master, a $500 US high-end option for AMD's 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors.
The TRX40 AORUS Master comes with the updated 2019 looks that AORUS has featured on their motherboards. It carries a black and silver color theme with brushed metal surfaces and a very futuristic look which we should expect from AORUS motherboards. The motherboard also comes with AORUS's signature Fin Array heatsinks which are scattered across the motherboard, making use of large heat pipes to form a connection
The motherboard carries a 16+3 phase Digital VRM solution. The CPU socket is powered by dual 8-pin connectors and the whole VRM area is cooled off by several Fins-array heatsinks. These along with the added heat pipe transfer heat from the VRM area to the heatsink near the I/O which absorbs most of the heat and blows it off with a small PWM fan featured under the I/O cover. There are eight DDR4 DIMM slots that can support up to 256 GB of capacity with speeds of up to 4400 MHz (OC+).
The motherboard also comes with four PCIe 4.0 x16 slots (x16, x16, x16 electrical) and a single PCIe 4.0 x1 slot. The four full-length x16 slots are reinforced by steel shielding. There are three M.2 slots and 8 SATA III ports for storage devices included on the motherboard. Other than that, all M.2 slots can be seen hidden beneath their heatsinks which provide decent cooling. Additional ports include a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C front-panel connector, power on/off switches, a reset switch, DEBUG LED and a couple of USB 3.0 front panel headers. There's also active cooling on the PCH heatsink which also includes a nice design with cutouts to let the fan blow air outwards.
TRX40 AORUS Master Motherboard Features:
- Supports 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors
- Quad Channel ECC/ Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 8 DIMMs
- 16+3 Phases Infineon Digital VRM Solution with 70A Power Stage
- Advanced Thermal Design with Fins-Array Heatsink, Heatpipe with Extended Heatsink and NanoCarbon Baseplate
- AQUANTIA 5GbE LAN and Intel GbE LAN with cFosSpeed
- 3 Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 with Thermal Guards
- Onboard Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax 2T2R & BT 5
- 130dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with High-End ESS SABRE 9218 DAC, ALC1220-VB, and WIMA Audio Capacitors
- USB TurboCharger for Mobile Device Fast Charge Support
- RGB FUSION 2.0 with Multi-Zone Addressable LED Light Show Design, Support Addressable LED & RGB LED Strips
- Smart Fan 5 Features Multiple Temperature Sensors, Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP and Noise Detection
- Front & Rear USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Header
- Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS Without Installing CPU, Memory and Graphics Card