Red Dead Redemption 2 Sold 17M Units, Surpassing Original in Eight Days; Red Dead Online Beta Due Towards the End of November
Red Dead Redemption 2 continues breaking sales records. Take-Two announced in the Q2 FY 2019 press release that the game has sold-in over 17 million units worldwide, beating in eight days the sales the original Red Dead Redemption managed to score over the course of eight years.
- Launched Red Dead Redemption 2 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Told across the deepest and most expansive Rockstar world to date, Red Dead Redemption 2 is Rockstar's first game built from the ground up for the current console generation. The title has received outstanding reviews, with numerous influential critics awarding Red Dead Redemption 2 a perfect score.
Red Dead Redemption 2 has also been a massive commercial success and has set numerous records. The title's list of initial benchmarks includes:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases (over $725 million);
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases (next to Grand Theft Auto V);
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
Red Dead Redemption 2 sold-in more units in its first 8 days than the original blockbuster Red Dead Redemption sold in its first 8 years and, as of today, the title has sold-in over 17 million units worldwide.
During the following earnings call, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick also revealed something Red Dead Redemption 2 fans have been eager to learn as they complete the single player game: Red Dead Online will launch in a public beta towards the end of November. It's likely that Rockstar Games will begin revealing some details on Red Dead Online in the next seven to ten days, then.
It will launch in public beta towards the end of the month. Rockstar will have a lot more to say about it, but we're not making any current predictions.