Take-Two Boasts Entertainment’s Biggest Opening Weekend of All Time for Red Dead Redemption 2
Take-Two just issued a press release to proudly announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 had the biggest opening weekend of all time with over $725 million in worldwide sell-through during its first three days.
However, it predictably couldn't beat Rockstar's own over $1 billion in retail sell-through registered by Grand Theft Auto V its first three days. The caveat here is that Grand Theft Auto V launched on a Tuesday, while Red Dead Redemption 2 launched on Friday, thus allowing Take-Two to make such a claim.
The press release additionally mentions that Red Dead Redemption 2’s list of initial benchmarks includes:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
All of this is even more impressive when you consider that the Western setting isn't quite as widely popular as Grand Theft Auto's contemporary shenanigans.
We scored the game 9.7/10, with the following summary:
Red Dead Redemption 2 may not be perfect, but its minor shortcomings are like tiny blemishes on a stunningly beautiful face. In a way, they only serve as a reminder of how this world isn't made for perfection. Every single aspect of the game will put you into the very shoes of an outlaw roaming America with his gang as they try to escape the law long enough to make the money needed to disappear for good. It's an epic, memorable and engrossing tale which also elevates the open world genre to new heights with the brand new interaction system, a cast of unforgettable characters and a ton of high-quality content to play for a long time.