Sony held a press conference addressing what could be the biggest attack on any network in the history of gaming the PSN has been down for more than 10 days now and Sony has stated that most but not all the services of PSN will return within the coming week, and to compensate all the users for the long down time Sony has decided to award their loyal consumers with
- A free month of PlayStation Plus for every account
- Free Games from the PSN store (select few)
Sony has upped their security too adding:
- Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
- Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
- Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
- Implementation of additional firewalls
Hopefully this should make sure that such a catastrophic event doesn't re occur in the future, Rumor has it that the same hackers who hacked PSN are now targeting Nintendo network so this could mean a huge problem in the future for Nintendo seeing as how the Wii is the highest selling console after the XBOX 360, Well one thing is for certain now; Anonymous and GeoHot who were rumored to be the hackers are definitely not the culprits, GeoHot cleared his name on his Blog and Anonymous released their YouTube video it is still a serious question as to who this new challenger is who hacked Sony? could it be a hacker(s) with a grudge or someone bigger?
For now I am happy that the PSN is coming back up soon, I have a lot of trophies to sync up and a lot of games I really wanna play online.