NVIDIA Quadro RTX First Single Graphics Card To Run Star Wars Ray Tracing Demo With RTX Technology – Features Up To 96 GB of GDDR6 Memory With NVLINK
NVIDIA has just announced their first Turing GPU based Quadro RTX graphics card that is aimed at Ray Tracing, Compute and AI development. The graphics card was demoed in ray tracing and ran a scene of Star Wars, fully ray-traced, on a single-chip graphics card, the same feat that previously took four Quadro GV100 GPUs to accomplish.
NVIDIA Ran Star Wars Ray Traced Demo on a Single Quadro RTX Graphics Card Featuring The Next-Gen Turing GPU
The NVIDIA Quadro RTX 8000 is the flagship Turing based graphics card featuring up to 96 GB of GDDR6 memory. That’s ample amount of what’s needed to power future ray tracing graphics and NVIDIA is taking full on lead in this department. It required NVIDIA four flagship Volta GV100 GPU based Quadro graphics card to power the same demo that was running on a single Turing based Quadro RTX 6000 solution which is, for now, a high-end solution in the Quadro RTX lineup. It’s a stunning feat for ray tracing graphics.
The demo was running on a flagship Quadro RTX 6000 graphics card with a monstrous and next-generation Turing GPU featuring a next-generation core architecture and new memory (Samsung GDDR6 Dies) technologies which we have not seen in any consumer or workstation graphics card released to date.
NVIDIA Quadro RTX Graphics Cards With Turing GPU:
Graphics Card Quadro GV100 Quadro RTX 4000 Quadro RTX 5000 Quadro RTX 6000 Quadro RTX 8000
GPU Volta GPU GV100 Turing GPU TU106 Turing GPU TU104 Turing GPU TU102 Turing GPU TU102
GPU Process 12nm 12nm 12nm 12nm 12nm
GPU Cores 5120 Cores 2304 Cores 3072 Cores 4608 Cores 4608 Cores
Tensor Cores 640 Cores 288 Cores 384 Cores 576 Cores 576 Cores
RT Cores N/A 36 48 72 72
Boost Clock 1450 MHz 1540 Mhz 1815 MHz 1770 MHz 1750 MHz
FP16 Compute 29.6 TFLOPs 14.2 TFLOPs 22.4 TFLOPs 32.6 TFLOPs 32.6 TFLOPs
FP32 Compute 14.8 TFLOPs 7.1 TFLOPs 11.2 TFLOPs 16.3 TFLOPs 16.3 TFLOPs
RTX OPS N/A 43 TOPs 62 TOPs 84 TOPs 84 TOPs
Ray Tracing Speed N/A 4 GigaRays/Sec 6 GigaRays/Sec 10 GigaRays/Sec 10 GigaRays/Sec
VRAM 32 GB HBM2 8 GB GDDR6 16 GB GDDR6
(32 GB With NVLINK)
24 GB GDDR6
(48 GB With NVLINK)
48 GB GDDR6
(96 GB With NVLINK)
Memory Bus 4096-bit 256-bit 256-bit 384-bit 384-bit
Memory Bandwidth 870 GB/s 416 GB/s 448 GB/s 672 GB/s 672 GB/s
TDP 250W 160W 265W 295W 295W
Price $9000 US $900 US $2300 US $6300 US $10000 US
Launch Date 2018 Q4 2018 Q4 2018 Q4 2018 Q4 2018
NVIDIA Turing GPU Architecture Slides:
Quadro RTX Professional GPUs
Quadro RTX GPUs are designed for the most demanding visual computing workloads, such as those used in film and video content creation; automotive and architectural design; and scientific visualization. They far surpass the previous generation with groundbreaking technologies, including:
- New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
- Turing Tensor Cores to accelerate deep neural network training and inference, which are critical to powering AI-enhanced rendering, products, and services.
- New Turing Streaming Multiprocessor architecture, featuring up to 4,608 CUDA® cores, delivers up to 16 trillion floating point operations in parallel with 16 trillion integer operations per second to accelerate complex simulation of real-world physics.
- Advanced programmable shading technologies to improve the performance of complex visual effects and graphics-intensive experiences.
- The first implementation of ultra-fast Samsung 16Gb GDDR6 memory to support more complex designs, massive architectural datasets, 8K movie content and more.
- NVIDIA NVLink® to combine two GPUs with a high-speed link to scale memory capacity up to 96GB and drive higher performance with up to 100GB/s of data transfer.
- Hardware support for USB Type-C™ and VirtualLink™(1), a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C™ connector.
- New and enhanced technologies to improve the performance of VR applications, including Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering, and VRWorks Audio.
GPU Memory Technology Updates
|Graphics Card Name||Memory Technology||Memory Speed||Memory Bus||Memory Bandwidth||Release|
|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080||GDDR5X||10.0 Gbps||256-bit||320 GB/s||2016|
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080||GDDR6||14.0 Gbps||256-bit||448GB/s||2018|
|AMD Radeon RX Vega 64||HBM2||1.9 Gbps||2048-bit||483 GB/s||2017|
|AMD Radeon R9 Fury X||HBM1||1.0 Gbps||4096-bit||512 GB/s||2015|
|NVIDIA Titan Xp||GDDR5X||11.4 Gbps||384-bit||547 GB/s||2017|
|NVIDIA Titan V||HBM2||1.7 Gbps||3072-bit||652.8 GB/s||2017|
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti||GDDR6||14.0 Gbps||384-bit||672GB/s||2018|
|NVIDIA Tesla P100||HBM2||1.4 Gbps||4096-bit||720 GB/s||2016|
|NVIDIA Tesla V100||HBM2||1.7 Gbps||4096-bit||901 GB/s||2017|
Quadro RTX Server
The Quadro RTX Server defines a new standard for on-demand rendering in the data center, enabling easy configuration of on-demand to render nodes for batch and interactive rendering.
It combines Quadro RTX GPUs with new Quadro Infinity software (available in the first quarter of 2019) to deliver a powerful and flexible architecture to meet the demands of creative professionals. Quadro Infinity will enable multiple users to access a single GPU through virtual workstations, dramatically increasing the density of the data center. End-users can also easily provision render nodes and workstations based on their specific needs.
- Quadro RTX 8000 with 48GB memory: $10,000 ESP
- Quadro RTX 6000 with 24GB memory: $6,300 ESP
- Quadro RTX 5000 with 16GB memory: $2,300 ESP
Quadro RTX GPUs will be available starting in the fourth quarter on nvidia.com. For shipment dates, contact the world’s leading OEM workstation manufacturers, including Dell EMC, HPE, HPI and Lenovo, and system builders and authorized distribution partners, including PNY Technologies in North America and Europe, ELSA/Ryoyo in Japan and Leadtek and Ingram in the Asia Pacific.