Things to Check If the Free Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Offer Doesn’t Seem to be Working for You
Want to avail the still-valid free Windows 10 upgrade offer and finally make the move away from Windows 7? We have already shared a very detailed guide to install the latest operating system for free using your existing Windows 7 key. But, if you do have a valid key but the upgrade still doesn't seem to be working for you, here is how to troubleshoot to see what could be causing the problem for you.
How to fix Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade issues
First, head over to this detailed support document that lists every single compatibility block associated with Windows 10. With the release of the November 2019 Update, Microsoft addressed almost all of the issues in the operating system that resulted in these blocks. But, take a look if there is some driver or antivirus that could be creating the problem during the upgrade process.
If compatibility isn't the problem here, go to troubleshooting.
- Open Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Update Troubleshooter.
- Run it to see if there is a fix available here.
More things to check:
If none of the above works, try the following:
- Make sure you are using an administrator account.
- Uninstall your antivirus software before installing Windows 10.
- Also, disable your firewall after you have downloaded Windows 10 but before initiating the installation process.
- If nothing works, try to manually remove all the unnecessary software and linked hardware as something could be creating problems.
- While it's easier to upgrade to Windows 10 while keeping all the data and apps, it is recommended to clean install the new operating system after backing up your files on an external drive to get a fresh copy.
This is a list of Windows 10 system requirements, just in case you have missed looking at it before initiating the Windows 10 upgrade process.
Do let us know what works for you and if you have any other tips that helped you get over the Windows 10 installation problems. Most of our readers have confirmed upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 without facing any issues. But if you do come across any problems, the above tips might help unless it's a system requirement issue, which can only be sorted with upgraded hardware.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter