How to Enable Dark Mode on Windows 11 Computers
Windows 11 is currently available on the Insider Program and is available for beta and dev users. If you have been trying it out, you must have noticed the bright aesthetic that accompanies it. The light theme isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and if you wish to tone it down, you can personalize it. In this tutorial, I will show you how to enable dark mode on Windows 11 computers.
Enable Dark Mode on Windows 11
There are different ways you can access the personalization settings to tone down the light. You can pick whichever way you find easiest or most convenient.
Step-1: Open Settings by click on the Windows icon on the taskbar and selecting the Settings cog. (You can use the shortcut keys Win + I as well to open the Settings app)
Step-2: Select Personalisation from the left pane.
Shortcut for Steps 1 & 2:
- Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize. This will open the Personalisation settings directly.
Step-3: Click on Themes.
Step-4: Select the Dark theme.
[In the themes section, you will notice various other themes available as well, like Glow, Captured Motion, Sunrise, etc. Every time you apply a theme, it will result in a new background, colors, taskbar, app themes, etc. These themes are designed to ensure that each item changes color can stand out and doesn’t clash with the colors around it. There is a dark mode very similar to the light one available. However, other versions of dark themes are available, and you can pick whichever you fancy.]
Step-5: If you want to add more themes or more options, click on the Browse themes button to visit the Microsoft Store and try out new themes.
As soon as you click on the browse option, Microsoft Store will open up, and you will get a collection of themes.
Enable Dark Mode Windows 11 in Contrast Themes
If you want to check out more contrast options, you can do that as well.
- In the Themes section, click on Contrast Themes.
- From the drop-down menu, select a contrasting theme that fits your criteria.
- After you select an option, select Apply.
[You may have to wait a bit after you select Apply. I am assuming that the wait time is longer because Windows 11 is still in the beta stage, and hopefully, once the full-fledged version is released, the wait time will be shorter]
If you want to customize the colors and pick and choose them to your liking, you don’t have to use the preset themes provided by Microsoft.
- In the Personalization settings, click on Color.
- In Choose your mode down-down menu, select Dark if you want the dark mode. Choose Custom if you want to select your own colors.
[You must be wondering how this is different from changing the mode in the Theme section. Well, it is simple. If you change the mode from here, you will only change the colors for your taskbar, menus, etc. In themes, your background will change as well.]
- If you select Custom in the drop-down menu, you will get two more options. You can choose Light or Dark mode for Windows and apps too.
- In the Accent Color section, you can choose colors manually from the palette provided or choose customized colors by clicking on View Colors. You can make your theme as dark or as light as you want.
I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, let us know in the comments below.