How to Clean Install tvOS 13 Final on Apple TV Right Now [Tutorial]
Follow our complete step by step tutorial on how to clean install tvOS 13 final on the Apple TV HD (1080p model).
Right now, as we talk to each other, the tvOS 13 update is available for download over the air. Just go to Settings > System > Software Update and you're good to go. But, if you have an Apple TV HD (the 1080p model) then you have the wonderful luxury of performing a clean install of tvOS 13 too. This is made possible thanks to the USB-C port behind the Apple TV HD itself, something which is not included with the Apple TV 4K model.
You might want to check out the following:
- Download tvOS 13 Final for Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD
- Downgrade tvOS 13 Final to tvOS 12 on Apple TV [How to]
Before you go ahead with the clean install, it's important to know that you will lose all your files and settings, so be ready to reinstall and get everything the way it was after the process is complete. Furthermore, a clean install will offer you a lot of benefits, such as superior performance compared to an over the air installation. If you are all up for that then follow the steps below on how to clean install tvOS 13 final on Apple TV HD.
Note: Though we have made this clear above but the clean install is only possible on the Apple TV HD thanks to its USB-C port. This guide is not applicable to Apple TV 4K users at all.
1. Download the tvOS 13 IPSW file from this link and save it to your desktop for easy access later on.
2. Connect your Apple TV to your PC or Mac using a USB-C cable and then launch iTunes.
3. Assuming your Apple TV is powered on, it will show up as a tiny little icon on the top left hand corner. Click on it to reveal more options.
4. Hold down the left Shift key (Windows) or the left Option key (macOS) and click on the Restore Apple TV button.
5. At this point simply select the iOS 13 final IPSW file you downloaded in step 1 and saved to your desktop.
iTunes will start extracting the firmware file and start to restore your Apple TV HD with it. This may take up to 15 minutes so grab a cup of, you know, coffee while everything is in motion. Once the installation is complete, iTunes will ask you to unplug your Apple TV from your PC or Mac and connect it back to your TV. That's about it, you now know how to clean install tvOS 13 final on your Apple TV. How about you lend the favor to others too, right?