GTA V PC Bugs, Fixes and Command Line Arguments
Unfortunately Rockstar Games isn't immune to launch day issues, though they are certainly fairing much better than certain other memorable launches. The Social Club launcher seems to be the focus of those issues, and of course there's the issue we've covered regarding non-standard characters. Thankfully Rockstar has already done a great job of documenting and helping to resolve those issues. Here's a small compendium of those fixes.
GTA V issues and fixes, with a few command lines sprinkled in just for fun.
Social Club failed to initialize
Their Social Club launcher was an idea that didn't exactly fit well with many PC gamers, and it hasn't been without it's problems. Most notably is when you try to run GTA V through it and it tells you in no uncertain terms that it can't initialize. You might see an error like the following:
- “Social Club failed to initialize.”
- “Social Club failed to load due to an incomplete installation. Please exit the game and re-install the latest version of the Social Club.”
- “A newer version of Social Club is required. The updater may have failed. Please exit the game and install the latest version of the Social Club.”
As frustrating as it is, especially for a new game, there a few things you can try to fix that problem. Rockstar says that this most likely is caused by an incorrect Social Club installation, so re-installing is necessary. So do the following:
- Use the Task Manager and make sure GTA V and the launcher isn't running, close those processes down.
- Make sure that you have proper administrative rights, as you'll need those. You might have to right click and use "Run as Administrator" to run the Social Club installer.
- Install the Social Club with admin rights. The installer can be found here.
That may not do it, either. So if you still have issues with the launcher, then let's do one more thing. Clear the Steam cache.
- Make sure Steam is running.
- Click on the Library section.
- Right-click on GTA V and select the Properties option.
- Click the local files tab, which should be in the middle.
- Click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." button on the bottom.
It also might help to ensure that GTA V itself is being run with administrative rights as well.
- Navigate to the GTA V PC directory.
- Right-click on the "PlayGTAV.exe" program.
- Select "Run as Administrator".
If doing the above doesn't work for you, then make sure that you have the latest drivers from NVIDIA or AMD (or Intel) and the latest iterations of DirectX and Visual C++. You might also have luck temporarily disabling your anti-virus
Unable to detect Windows Media Player on your system
Apparently Windows Media Player is actually required to play GTA V. If, like me, you've chosen to get rid of it in favor of a number of better alternatives, then you'll have to re-install it in order to even install GTA V.
To do so, just complete the following steps.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Click on the "Programs" button, on the bottom left.
- Select "Turn Windows Features On or Off" from the choices.
- Navigate down to the "Media Features" in the window that should have popped-up, expand that and select "Windows Media Player".
- Click "OK" and it should install.
After that, continue your installation of GTA V and you should be all set.
Command Line Arguments
Rockstar has seen fit to allow you to run scripts while loading the game, allowing you to fix or modify certain settings to help with other game related issues, or to benchmark the game.
To use those command line arguments, just create a new text document named "commandline.txt" and place it in the root game folder. Then place the commands listed below in there if they suit you.
- Use automatic generated settings
- Starts the benchmark test from the command line
- Optionally output the individual frame times from the benchmark
- Specifies the number of iterations to run the benchmark for
- Specifies an individual benchmark scene test should be done, and which test that should be
- Disable audio processing for graphics benchmark purposes
- Don't count hyperthreaded cores as real ones to create tasks on
- Jump straight to MP while loading
- Don't reset settings with a new card
- Ignore the current profile settings
- Game uses mouse exclusively.
- Disable In-game DOF effects
- Start settings at minimum but don't save it
- Selects between linear, rpdb, box 4x4, soft 16
- Set language game uses
- Reset settings to the minimum
- Enable HD streaming while in flight
- Enable SSA
- Set SSAO quality (0-2)
- Set anisotropic Filter Quality Level (0-16)
- Control city density (0.0 - 1.0)
- Enable lights volumetric effects in foggy weather
- Set FXAA quality (0-3)
- Set grass quality (0-5)
- Set LOD Distance Level (0.0-1.0f)
- Set particle quality (0-2)
- Enable particle shadows
- Set Pedestrians LOD Distance Bias (0.0-1.0f)
- Set postFX quality (0-3)
- Enable reflection map blur
- Set reflection quality (0-3)
- Set shader quality (0-2)
- Enable shadow rendering for dusk and dawn
- Set shadow quality (0-3)
- Set tessellation on or off (0-3)
- Set texture quality (0-2)
- Enable NVidia TXAA
- Set Vehicles LOD Distance Bias (0.0-1.0f)
- Set water quality (0-1)
- Sets the keyboard layout to the specified region.
- Set the whole rendering pipeline to 16-bit
- Don't use quaternion transforms for placed entities
- Force 10.0 feature set
- Force 10.1 feature set
- Force 11.0 feature set
- Manual override GPU Count
- Use the specified screen adapter number (zero-based)
- Set main window to be borderless
- Do Not allow the window to be resized
- number of vertical synchronizations to limit game to
- Force fullscreen mode
- Set height of main render window (default is 480)
- Number of multisamples (1, 2, 4, 8, or 16)
- Set width of main render window (default is 640)
- Force windowed mode
- If present the game will automatically launch into the multiplayer game in freemode.
If you guys and gals out there happen to benchmark this beauty of a game, go ahead and let us know the specs, settings and results in the comments. We'd love to hear from you and see how it runs on a variety of hardware.