GarageBand for iOS & Logic Pro X for macOS Receive Major Updates
Apple has updated GarageBand for iOS to version 2.2, and Logic Pro X for macOS to version 10.3. Both updates are packed with a ton of new features and have been redesigned in many ways.
Two of Apple's Most Powerful and Best Music Software Receive Mighty Updates
If you are familiar with the world of music, then you are highly likely acquainted with GarageBand, which is available for both macOS and iOS. On mobile however, the software is capable of pulling off a bunch of neat tricks, making it the go-to place for aspiring musicians. Today, Apple is taking its software one step further by redesigning it, and throwing in a bunch of new features and patches. Probably the biggest highlight of this release is the new Alchemy Touch Instrument. But of course, there's more to it, than just an instrument addition.
• Play and record using the new Alchemy Touch Instrument with over 150 synth patches*
• Quickly find Touch Instruments and patches with a redesigned sound browser
• Capture your voice or instrument and apply studio-class effects like pitch correction, distortion and delay with the new Audio Recorder
• Use new mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Add third-party effects using Audio Unit Extensions**
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Perform with Chord Strips from any keyboard instrument
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
• Stability improvements and bug fixes
* The Alchemy synth is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.
** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extension instruments apps from the App Store.
If you are a musician and reside on the 'pro' end of the spectrum, then you will be pleased to know that Logic Pro X for macOS is seeing a massive update today. The list of features added to the roster are quite extensive and make up for an epic read.
Support for the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro
• View your entire project at a glance and navigate with touch in the timeline overview
• Adjust Smart Controls on the selected track to fine-tune the sound of instruments and effects
• Play and record software instruments using a musical keyboard with piano keys or scale mode
• Trigger drum pads to create beats while controlling velocity and note repeat
• Access your favorite shortcuts using a set of customizable key commands
• New modern design with improved legibility in a variety of lighting conditions
• Expanded color palette offers 24 more colors to label your regions, tracks and notes
• Horizontal auto-zoom helps keep everything in view
• New region editing design reveals waveform for entire audio file while trimming
• Track Alternatives let you create and switch between different playlists of regions and edits on a track
• Render any combination of effect plug-ins to a selection of audio using Selection-based Processing
• True stereo panning provides more control and discrete manipulation of stereo signals
• Apply fades across multiple regions at a time
• 64-bit summing engine
• Use 192 additional busses
• Share to GarageBand option allows you to remotely add new tracks to your Logic project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
• MIDI plug-ins can be used to creatively control plug-in parameters
• Directly assign Software Instruments as sidechain sources
• Import Music XML files
If you have GarageBand or Logic Pro X installed on your device, then you should get the new version as free updates. If you are installing fresh, then tap on the links below. Remember one thing though, Logic Pro X will set you back $199.