Fortnite In-Game Tournaments Announced, All Platforms and Control Types to Compete Freely
Fortnite still doesn’t have a full-fledged competitive esports mode, and probably won’t for a while, but Epic Games have just announced In-Game Tournaments will be part of their next update. Tournaments will run at scheduled dates for a specific amount of time – rack up enough points and you’ll earn pins, which may eventually put you in the running for various prizes. Here are a few more details about how In-Game Tournaments will work:
Each tournament has a series of scheduled dates and times during which the competition will be run. Each of these scheduled sessions is a completely clean slate - all players will begin with the same score and compete over several hours of intense competition to earn as many points as possible. Players can earn points by either achieving high placements or eliminating multiple opponents.
Matchmaking during a tournament session will pair players with similar point standings, so if you’re playing well within the session you’ll find yourself matched with stronger opponents. Tournaments will feature a target score to strive towards - reaching this score will award you with a shiny pin celebrating your accomplishment. In the future, earning a pin may advance you to the next round of a tournament or qualify you to win prizes.
Fortnite tournaments will support crossplay – in fact, you need to opt in to crossplay to participate. In-Game Tournaments will also let keyboard and mouse, controller, and touch players compete against each other. According to Epic, they’ve been “observing the performance” of those using controllers and found they’re just as competitive as keyboard and mouse players. I’m sure some people would dispute that, but, for now, everybody’s in the same pool. God help the touch players.
We are excited to announce the new In-Game Tournaments system, launching this week!
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) October 15, 2018
Epic has already announced dates for the following tournaments:
Alpha Tournament (Solo)
- Dates: October 16 - October 21
- Description: Participate in the first in-game tournament, spanning across several days of daily competition!
Beta Tournament (Duo)
- Dates: October 23 - October 25
- Description: Grab a friend and take on the world - until you are the last two left.
Friday Night Fortnite (Squad)
- Dates: October 19 - November 30
- Description: Join your friends every Friday and kick off your weekend with some exciting Squad action.
Salty Springs Cup (Solo)
- Dates: October 27 - October 31
- Description: One week and three attempts to prove you're the saltiest that Salty Springs has to offer.
Tomato Temple Cup (Duo)
- Dates: October 28 - November 1
- Description: Become legends of the Tomato Temple Cup.
In-Game Tournaments will be part of Fortnite update 6.10, which launches tomorrow (October 16). Fortnite is available on PC, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and mobile platforms.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter