Save Apple ID Password for Free Apps in Mac App Store – Here’s How
Even if you are downloading a free app, the Mac App Store requires you to enter your Apple ID password every single time. Here's how you can save your password and skip through the trouble for good.
Save Your Password for Free Purchases on Mac App Store
While there are many different apps and games available to download from the Mac App Store, the process of downloading can get a little annoying when you realize that you are required to enter your password every single time even if you want a free piece of software. Thankfully though, Apple acknowledges this as an annoyance and has baked in a feature within the Mac App Store, allowing you to save your password and download the free stuff without worrying about entering your key credential over and over again.
1. Launch the Mac App Store from the Dock or Launchpad.
2. Sign in with your Apple ID into the Mac App Store if you haven't already. Simply click on the Store option in the menu bar and sign right in.
3. Once signed in, click on the App Store button in the menu bar then click on Preferences. Refer to the screenshot below.
4. See that Free Downloads option at the end? Open it up then select Save Password. You might be required to enter your password once you do.
5. Close the Preferences window and try downloading a free app now. It will start downloading without any sort of password at all.
While this feature is absolutely handy, but do keep one thing in mind: if you have a kid at home who loves downloading apps and games on your Mac, then the Save Password option actually gave him/her a freehand at downloading anything they like. So do not be surprised if you come home one day to find a ton of apps and games living in the Launchpad.
You always have the option to revert this change. Simply follow the above steps again and select Require Password in the last step. Though, quite frankly, I would recommend keeping it at the Save Password position. The convenience of this feature is just undeniable on a grand scale.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter