Doom Eternal Drops Gory New Gameplay, Mutliplayer Details, and a Release Date
Bethesda’s E3 showcase just wrapped up, and, unsurprisingly, Doom Eternal was the big capper to the show. First up, we got a new story trailer, that hints Doom Eternal will have a deeper story than the pervious game in the series. Check it out.
Bethesda showed off a big, meaty, juicy, pulsating (you get the idea) chunk of gameplay, which you can scope out, below.
Here's some more info on some of the new powers the Doom Slayer will have this time around:
Use the new Flame Belch ability on the Slayer’s shoulder-mounted Equipment Launcher to set demons ablaze and then shoot the immolated foes for armor. To restore health, use overwhelming firepower to stagger a demon and follow up with the ultimate rip-and-tear finisher, the Glory Kill. Ammo is scarce, so eviscerating enemies with the Chainsaw is essential for restocking the Slayer’s munitions.
As the waves of demons you fight get tougher, you’ll need to utilize the right weapons in your arsenal at the right times to maximize your damage. With DOOM Eternal’s demon destruction system, tearing apart demons piece by piece is not only fun, it’s useful, as targeting and destroying a heavy demon’s primary guns can help make short, bloody work of even the toughest foes.
From the gap-closing Double Dash to the Meathook mod for the Super Shotgun, which allows you to hook into and get up-close-and-personal with a demon, DOOM Eternal puts you in control of the ultimate demon killing machine. But resourceful fighting is only one of the many additions to the Slayer’s kit. New options like scaling sheer walls, vaulting from monkey bars, punching through walls, breaking chains and more allows you to master the environment as much as the combat.
But that’s not all! We also got a look at Doom Eternal’s new take on multiplayer. Battlemode pits a Slayer against two powerful demons with unique powers. See how it works, below.
In Battlemode, one player takes on the role of the Doom Slayer while two other players enter the fray as demons. The Slayer comes packing with a full arsenal to take on the deadly duo of baddies, ranging from the jetpacking Revenant to the thick-skinned Mancubus, in a best-of-five fight to the death.
Each class of demon has unique movement options, attacks and abilities to challenge the Slayer’s skills, making Battlemode a lightning-fast blend of raw action and clever strategy. Despite the raw demon-killing capability of the Slayer, the demon team has Hell’s armies at their command. That’s right – both demon players can spawn hellish AI-controlled reinforcements to attempt to overwhelm or outmaneuver the Slayer.
Pre-orders of Doom Eternal are open now, and, of course, Doom Eternal is getting its own fancy Collector's Edition. Here's what you get for $200:
- A Deluxe Edition copy of Doom Eternal in an exclusive Steelbook case custom designed by graphic designer and illustrator Gabz in collaboration with Mondo. The Doom Eternal Deluxe Edition includes:
- Doom Eternal Year One Pass, granting access to two single-player Campaign expansions, set to release within one year of Doom Eternal’s launch
- Demonic Slayer Skin
- Classic Weapons Sound Pack, adding nostalgia-inducing weapon sound effects to your DOOM Eternal arsenal
- A full-sized, wearable Doom Slayer Helmet replica
- A playable cassette tape, plus download codes for lossless digital copies of Mick Gordon’s DOOM (2016) and Doom Eternal original soundtracks. The uncompressed music files will make any audiophile’s day, and the analog tape contains something special for id Software fans!
- Doom Lore Book with custom artwork by id Software. Learn more about the events past and present that shape the Doom universe and the Slayer himself.
- One “The Gift of Argent Power” 11” x 17” Lithograph
Doom Eternal hits PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Google Stadia on November 22.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter