Distance Gets Out of Steam Early Access on September 18th
Distance, the spiritual successor to Nitronic Rush crowdfunded on Kickstarter in November 2012, is finally coming out of Steam Early Access. The arcade racing game made by the Seattle-based independent team Refract Studios launched on the platform in September 2014, so Distance 1.0 will land about four years after the Steam Early Access debut.
So far, customers have relayed very positive reviews with a 93% approval rating. Distance is also planned to hit PlayStation 4, though Refract Studios did not provide a release date for Sony's console yet.
Meanwhile, you can check out the 1.0 teaser trailer below and/or read Jorge's hands-on preview from PAX East 2017.
Distance is an atmospheric racing platformer. Fusing futuristic arcade racing with parkour, survive a deadly, mysterious, neon-drenched city by jumping, rotating, and flying.
The roads are treacherous with obstacles around every corner. Instead of doing laps on a loop, survive to the end in the quickest time. Your car has abilities that not only allow you to drive on the track, but upside down and on buildings and walls! You can also fly to discover new shortcuts and paths. Take on the roads alone, or in multiplayer with your friends!
The game is a spiritual successor to the multi-award winning Nitronic Rush, created by ourselves and 5 others at DigiPen Institute of Technology. It was widely praised for its innovative mechanics, visual style, audio design, and atmosphere.
Key Game Features:
- Adventure Mode: A short single-player narrative experience. Drive into the heart of a dark, mysterious city as you pursue an ominous threat.
- Arcade Mode: Race ghosts to take on the leaderboards' best. Earn medals to unlock a wide variety of tracks in several different modes.
- Multiplayer: Online (up to 12 players) and split-screen (2-4 players) play in modes such as Sprint, Reverse Tag, Stunt, and Challenge.
- Trackmogrify: Random track generation with advanced seed modifiers.
- VR: Full VR integration with support for Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive.
- Level editor: Use a powerful level editor to create levels from within the game and share them with players around the world.
- Original soundtrack: New music from the composer behind award-winning games like Nitronic Rush, Solace, and The Fourth Wall.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter