Descent Underground has received quite the update just today. Dubbed the 'Rama' update, it not only brings in a new map, but further helps to refine the gameplay and summarily squash bugs and glitches. For an early access title, it's more stable than some fully released games.
Descent Underground is making great progress, giving players everything they wanted in this retro remake.
New features that are in the 'Rama' update include a new multiplayer map called of the same name that blends a large open arena with challenging confined rooms and passages. The “Torch”, a predecessor to the legendary “Pyro” of the original games, adds a dueling ship to the range of class roles available. Also making an appearance are Proximity Mines, which will be the first deployable gadget that can make a distinct difference in those tight spaces in all the maps. Already I've found myself the victim of a few nasty tricks from opponents dropping their mines right in front of me. This type of game is truly something that needs to be seen, or experienced, to be truly appreciated.
And the new update patch notes are listed below for you to read through.
New Stuff and patch notes! (build 1349)
- Trichording is now working again! Your thrusters now thrust on all three axes like they should.
- The Afterburner now works, though ships have limited fuel. Powerups will make an appearance later.
- <Left Shift> is the default Afterburner key.
- <Left Stick - PUSH> is the default Afterburner on gamepad.
- However, if you have customized your controls, you may need to add it manually.
- The "Proximity Bomb" gadget is now EXPLODING all around you! They take 2 seconds to arm, so plan ahead!
- Gadgets are now correctly deploying from the Predator's neðer ye instead of its dorsal carapace.
- Proximity Mines now have no collision until they are armed.
- Gadget switching is now a thing- you can use different kinds of deployables.
- By default, this is set to "T" and "G" on the keyboard or to the "Down" button on the D-Pad
- If you have customized your controls, you may need to add these bindings manually.
- Different ships now start with different gadgets.
- Multiplayer now offers the option to "Create Match" and "Enter a Key" (play with your friends!) in addition to "Quick Match".
- Matches can be started private and made public, but only before the match starts.
- Match will start automatically about 30 seconds after the lobby has more than the minimum number of players
- All Multiplayer matches now have a lobby that shows who is in the match, their team/color, the map, and game mode.
- The "Torch" drone (a predecessor to the Pyro) is now tronified and ready for action.
- A new arena map called "Rama" has been added for the enjoyment of your adoring fans!
- A Career page is now available in the drone bay, so you can see kills, deaths, points, etc. Achievements are coming, but are not being tracked just yet.
- Players will now spawn with a 3-second invulnerability shield as an anti-spawn camping measure. Firing a weapon removes this protection.
- Mining the core in Capture The Core will drain your shields because of the excess radiation released.
- Scoring in Capture The Core has been tweaked a little.
- Three new per-match achievements have been added for core capture points in Capture The Core.
- Collision damage broke Wingman's kill streak, so it's been disabled until it knows what it did wrong.
- Virtual Joystick cursor now points the correct direction when mouse look is inverted
- Many audio improvements, including new sounds for low-level lasers and the Vulcan Cannon
- Laser damage has been rebalanced to make sure it still hurts... but not too much
- An interface has been added to allow players to fly in any map in Test Flight.
- Anisotropic Filtering settings should now correctly save
- Small tweaks & bug nukings.