How to Clean Install macOS Sierra – Tutorial
Here's how you can clean install macOS Sierra on your Mac in a few easy to understand steps.
Clean Install macOS Sierra to Get Maximum Performance Benefit
If you have finally made your mind up and are ready to clean install macOS Sierra, a few things must be made absolutely clear first.
- Clean installing will wipe everything off your Mac so be sure to backup everything using Time Machine or an external storage medium.
- Make sure your Mac is compatible to work with macOS Sierra otherwise you'll be wasting time downloading Sierra in the first place.
- Create a macOS Sierra bootable USB drive. Follow our guide posted here: How to Create macOS Sierra Bootable USB Drive.
The complete list of compatible Macs with macOS Sierra are as follows:
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
Clean Install macOS Sierra - Tutorial
Assuming you have a macOS Sierra bootable USB drive at hand as well as a compatible Mac, then follow the steps outlined below.
1. With the bootable macOS Sierra USB drive plugged in, restart your Mac or power it on.
2. As soon as you hear the startup chime, hold down the left 'Option' key on your keyboard.
3. Once you see a number of boot-up options, select the macOS Sierra installer USB drive.
4. The installer will load up after a few seconds. Once it does, click on the 'Disk Utility' option.
5. Select your Mac's main hard drive on which El Capitan is installed and then click on the 'Erase' button at the top. Click on the blue 'Erase' button again to confirm your action.
6. Once the disk is done erasing, click on the red 'close' button on the top left corner. This will take you back to the main installer window.
7. In the list of available options, click on 'Install macOS.'
8. Follow the on-screen prompts for installation. Just make sure you select the drive your erased in step 5 as the destination you want macOS to be installed on.
The entire installation process will take at least half an hour, or maybe more, depending on the speed of your Mac. But during the entire process make sure you do not touch anything that can interfere with the installation.
You need everything to go as smoothly as possible.
A clean install of macOS Sierra, or any OS in general, is the best route to take if you want maximum performance and battery benefit out of it. Although it has its downsides, such as the hardship you have to go through in order to backup and restore your files. But at the end of the day you are left with an OS that runs ultra smoothly, works best, and is fresh out of the oven.
Let us know which route you took in order to install macOS Sierra - clean or OTA.