Major Windows 10 Anniversary Build 14328 Released to PC and Mobile with New Start Menu and Ink
Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Redstone Insider Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring. The company is calling it a "MAJOR" build for PC users as today's release brings a number of new features, including new Start experiences, improvements to Action Center, and a new Ink Workspace.
Windows 10 Redstone 14328 for PC and Mobile:
Windows 10 Redstone 14328 is out for both the PC and Windows 10 Mobile devices. Microsoft had started releasing same builds to both its desktop and mobile platforms on the same day. However, in the last few releases, it couldn't do so due to some last minute issues. Windows 10 PC users have had to pass on Windows 10 14327 as the company discovered some critical bugs right before delivering the Preview to Insiders. Windows 10 Mobile 14327 was released only a few days ago, bringing the ability for users to send and receive text messages right from their PCs. Those users already on 14327 won't be too excited about today's build as it doesn't bring any new changes for Mobile after the last update.
But, those on the PC version of the operating system, you will find this release very exciting. Here are some of the major features that are part of Windows 10 Redstone 14328.
- New Start experiences
- Tablet mode improvements in Start menu
- Improvements to Action Center and Notifications
- Cortana and Search improvements, including Cortana on Lock Screen
- Updates to the Taskbar
- Updated Settings app
- Lock Screen improvements
- Improved battery life for Surface and other connected PCs
You can download the new build from Windows Update, if you are an Insider on the Fast ring. Not seeing the new build yet? It has only started seeding a while back, so give it some time. Microsoft has warned that the new build brings some major code changes, which means "there are going to be some rough edges."
You can read the complete details of the changes and improvements that the current build is bringing along with the known issues in the official blog post.
What’s fixed for Windows 10 14328 PC
- We fixed the issue causing the Visual Studio emulator for Windows 10 Mobile and Hololens to fail with “An authentication error has occurred. The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted”. Developers should be able to use the emulator on this build.
- We fixed the issue causing the Xbox One Controller to lag and become hard to use when connected to your PC.
- We fixed an issue where the two factor authentication dialog wasn’t formatted correctly after an error is received.
- When you open a second app in tablet mode, it will appear side-by-side with the first app (split-screen). When you close one of these apps, it should become full screen.
- We fixed an issue where default column widths for Task Manager were too narrow on high DPI devices.
- We fixed an issue where restarting your PC might become stuck on “Restarting…” screen rather than prompting “Are you sure you want to Restart?” when unsaved work is present.
- We’ve updated the Shutdown Windows dialog to use a modern icon.
- We fixed an issue where you couldn’t see the Chinese Input Method Editor candidate list while in full screen mode for games, as well as resolved an issue where using it in the Settings search box would cause Settings to crash
- We fixed an issue that might result in a notification that cannot be dismissed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in overlapped icons and clipped text in File Explorer when display is using a very large font size.
- We fixed an issue causing Quicken to not launch. However, you will need to uninstall and reinstall Quicken to get out of a bad state.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter