Sony vs GeoHot; the war comes to a close, and the winner is ….
Sony was playing hardball with Apple Hacker and more recently the creator of the Jailbreak on the PlayStation 3, his actions however had consequences and cost him a litigation in court. While for the most part Sony was successful in shutting down his site, ceasing all his virtual identities and possessing his computers and PlayStation 3 the litigation caught the attention of a small group of hackers who call themselves Anonymous and their way of "revenge" was DDoS'ing the PSN to bits but instead of doing harm to Sony these "heroes" were actually causing harm to the consumers stopping them from enjoying their online playing. Anonymous later on called off the PSN attack and said they would find a way to hurt Sony without bringing the customers in the middle of the war. But it looks like Anonymous can put down their pitchforks and blow out the torches.
The war of the worlds has come to an end and the winner is both the parties. Sony and GeoHot have dropped the litigation on each other. Below is a statement available on the official US PlayStation Blog and as you can see both parties reached an understanding while Hotz consented to a permanent injunction he is at least a free bird yet again. This could mean that he will probably never be allowed to release another jailbreak ever again but it's already too late, the flame has started and this fire is out of control and it's going to burn this city!. Hackers are working around the clock to release updated CFW so that jailbreakers every where can enjoy backed up games and free online from a jailbroken console. It's good to see that Sony has dropped the matter and GeoHot also accepted the terms of Sony so willingly at last the heated hate against Sony and the pirates can be put to a rest and Sony can now give their full attention to banning hackers in Black Ops / Modern Warfare 2 lobbies.
Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and George Hotz (“Hotz”) today announced the settlement of the lawsuit filed by SCEA against Hotz in federal court in San Francisco, California. The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011. As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction.
Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”
“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.
In the action, SCEA accused Hotz of violating federal law by posting online information about the security system in the PlayStation 3 videogame console and software that SCEA claimed could be used to circumvent the security system in the console and allow the playing of pirated videogames. Hotz denies any wrongdoing on his part. Hotz’s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction was still pending before the federal court in San Francisco but a preliminary injunction was issued requiring Hotz to take down the postings challenged by SCEA.
“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”
Source: PlayStation US Blog
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter