Shovel Knight Dig Spin-Off Revealed, King of Cards Campaign and Showdown Mode Get Trailers
Shine up your gardening tools retro fans, because Yacht Club Games has announced a treasure trove of new Shovel Knight goodness. First and foremost, we’re getting an all-new spinoff game, Shovel Knight Dig, which is being co-created by Yacht Club and prolific Flash game developer Nitrome. The game seems to draw obvious inspiration from games like SteamWorld Dig and Spelunky, with players digging through challenging-looking underground dungeons. Check out a trailer, below.
Here’s a few more details about the game:
- An all-new presentation featuring a new story! When Drill Knight and his dastardly digging crew blast apart Shovel Knight’s peaceful campsite and steal his loot, he grabs his trusty Shovel Blade and starts tunneling after them!
- The first Shovel Knight adventure in glorious high color pixel graphics and sound. Fluid animation, scaling, rotation, and parallax create our most convincing world yet!
- Every adventure is different! Levels have been meticulously crafted, then stitched together using proprietary generation techniques for infinite replayability.
- Jump, slash, and dig your way in an all-new direction – down! Rely on your trusty Shovel Drop, then dig through huge swaths of dirt with all-new Speed Shovel mechanics.
- Grow in power and wealth as you descend into the depths of the earth. Emerge with untold riches to outfit yourself further, unlocking permanent items and upgrades to your adventuring equipment.
- New Knights, new characters, and new enemies abound, but fear not! Dig features the series' signature storytelling, humor, and maybe even some familiar faces.
- Another pulse-pounding soundtrack in a new style by astonishing virtuoso Jake Kaufman!
Yacht Club has also released a new trailer for Shovel Knight: King of Cards, the game’s final, and biggest, expansion. It’s essentially an all-new game, larger than the original, featuring tons of new levels, mechanics (including a full card game), and secrets. Scope it out for yourself!
Finally, here’s a look at Shovel Knight Showdown, the game’s upcoming multiplayer mode.
Phew! That’s a lot of shovely goodness to keep track of! Shovel Knight is currently available on everything under the sun, including (deep breath) PC, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Wii U, PS Vita, 3DS, and Amazon FireTV. King of Cards and Showdown will be available for free for all existing owners in December, unless you’re playing on Vita/3DS – those platforms aren’t getting Showdown. The latest expansions launch alongside Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, a new physical edition that includes all previous DLC for Xbox One, PS4, and Switch. Shovel Knight Dig has, thus far, only been announced for Switch and doesn’t have a firm release date.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter