Rise Of The Tomb Raider Sells Over 1 Million Copies Alongside Halo 5, Gears & Forza 6; 2016 To Be Even Bigger
Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox has sold over 1 million copies since it was released back in November of 2015. This also applies to Halo 5: Guardians, Forza Motorsport 6, and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.
According Corporate Vice President Of Marketing For Xbox, Mike Nichols, the greatest games line-up in Xbox history, fuelled Holiday sales for 2015. Nichols adds that 2016 is shaping up to be an even bigger year for gamers.
Rise of the Tomb Raider and other Xbox holiday exclusives all sold over 1 million copies
"2015 was a monumental year for Xbox – the biggest in our history – and we owe it all to our gaming community. We saw record global engagement and sales fueled by high demand for our greatest games line-up and hardware and accessories like the best-selling Xbox One Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle and our Elite Controller. Every title in our exclusive 2015 holiday games line-up – Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Motorsport 6 and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition – sold over 1 million units, and the number of Xbox One gamers who played Microsoft Studios-published titles more than doubled compared to 2014", Nichols said.
For 2016, Microsoft is planning to extend their success by offering "the biggest blockbusters from our third-party publishing partners alongside our unrivaled line-up of console exclusives led this spring by Remedy’s time-bending new action IP Quantum Break".
Microsoft's Corporate Vice President posted a snapshot of exclusive 2016 titles that have been announced at the moment of writing.
- Gears of War 4(Xbox One) – Multiplayer Beta in Spring 2016/Launch in Fall 2016
- Quantum Break(Xbox One) – April 5, 2016
- Halo Wars 2(Xbox One & Windows 10) – Fall 2016
- Crackdown 3(Xbox One) – Multiplayer in Summer 2016
- Fable LegendsOpen Beta (Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
- ReCore(Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
- Sea of Thieves(Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
- Gigantic(Xbox One & Windows 10) – 2016
- Killer Instinct: Season 3(Xbox One & Windows 10) – March 2016
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition(Windows 10) – Spring 2016
- Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition(Xbox One & Windows 10) – Spring 2016
- Cobalt(Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Steam) – Feb. 2, 2016
Interestingly, following the release of Rise of the Tomb Raider back in November, Sony's sr. product manager Chris Brown, tweeted that the game's low UK sales might have something to with Microsoft's poor release timing. Being a timed Xbox exclusive, Rise of the Tomb Raider will also be releasing on Sony’s PS4 later this year, and game director on PS4 exclusive Driveclub, Paul Rustchynsky, stated that the game “will do just fine” when it releases on the PS4 next year.